where cultural capital meets content

Some of our Blog Posts

Here are the most recent posts from our group.

• Weekly Web Harvest for 2016-07-17

The “Jennifer Aniston neuron” is the foundation of compelling new memory research — Quartz “We have a relatively limited memory capacity and that much of our perception of our memory is in fact an illusion.” ” Looking for the areas of the brain that cause epileptic seizures, Quiroga discovered that one subject had a neuron […]

• Photography – Week 136

• Weekly Web Harvest for 2016-07-17

• Hide/Show Angular via URL Variables

flickr photo shared by Internet Archive Book Images with no copyright restriction (Flickr Commons) For some reason I’ve been hiding/showing things a lot recently. One nice little trick I saw (and have already used) was based on the target class. You can see it working – hidden here and expanded here. Notice the #details piece […]

• Hide/Show Angular via URL Variables

• Custom Web Form to Google Sheets

14441783775_d53bf770c2.jpg

Sometimes the options given in Google Forms just won’t quite work for what you want to do. Maybe you want a particular look, or an interaction, or whatever that Google Forms just won’t do. Luckily, it’s not too hard to make a custom form that can do whatever you want and still has the ability […]

• Four Ways to Reshape Online Discussion

Whether a class lives exclusively online or has an online presence, it is likely that discussion (student to class, student to student, small group, etc.) is a major component of the course framework. The strengths of online discussion can ultimately create the burdens of communication that weigh so heavily on faculty and students. Online discussion […]

• Photography – Week 135

• Weekly Web Harvest for 2016-07-10

Comparing Fully-Online vs Mixed-Course Enrollment Data -e-Literate The Online Photographer: The Angry Man “Many years ago when I was but a wee clod-kicker in high school, I had amazing conversation with a pretty blonde girl in english class about the ‘news.’ She stated proudly that she didn’t pay any attention to current events…bragged actually. I […]

• Classroom Reconsidered: Mary Morton Parsons Courtyard

What happens when students are removed from the norms and expectations of the classroom? Without a focal point of instruction (lectern, teaching wall, instructor, etc.) where do students director their attention and energies? Does a novel environment inhibit or enhance the learning experience? Part of my interest in classroom spaces is to challenge the preconception […]

• Information Transfer in Classrooms and Digital Spaces

A few weeks ago, I had the privilege of facilitating a two day bootcamp on developing a digitally integrated classroom with six faculty members from the School of Social Work at VCU. Over the two days, our focus was on the strategic creation and implementation of a digital platform in a face-to-face course that extends […]

• 5.3 Reasons Pokemon Go will Replace the LMS

I was inspired by this post and the way that Slack also replaced the LMS.1 1. Pokemon is fun to say Like Schoology or Moodle, Pokemon is a fun word to say. You can also say words like Venusaur, Charizard, Blastoise, and Pikachu. That’s pretty much a foreign language credit right there! It’s pretty awesome! […]