where cultural capital meets content

Some of our Blog Posts

Here are the most recent posts from our group.

• With a little help from my (edu)friends

What would you think if I sang out of tune Would you stand up and walk out on me? Lend me your ears and I’ll sing you a song And I’ll try not to sing out of key Oh I get by with a little help from my friends… -Ringo Starr as Billy Shears in […]

• Photography – Weeks 137, 138, 139

I got a bit off track. Time to get things back in line.

• Weekly Web Harvest for 2016-08-21

Your drain on drugs: Meth seeps into Baltimore’s streams – CNN.com Here’s why: These plants and bugs are the base of the aquatic food web. Birds eat the bugs, as do frogs and fish. As emergent contaminants such as pharmaceuticals and endocrine disruptors become more common in ground and drinking water, they could affect humans. […]

• Lynda Tutorial Link in Rampages Dashboard Plugin

Nothing fancy here but maybe useful to someone. Based on a faculty member request, I took the WP widget API default code and created a little dashboard widget to put a link to the Lynda.com WordPress tutorials on every dashboard page (network activated). Can’t hurt and I think I’ll end up expanding this into a […]

• Lynda Domain URL Tip

WordPress Essential Training Lynda.com is new to VCU. It’s good stuff and I wanted to use it more with students but the vanilla links lead you to the non-VCU authentication page which equals confusion and despair. Luckily, there is a simple solution. Just append ?org=vcu1 to the end of the URL and it’ll prompt the […]

• As the semester begins, celebrate uncertainty

For a variety of reasons I haven’t posted in over a month. So much for my weekly posting goal. Much of my time has been dedicated to course development projects. Whether they are out of my standard supply of training topics or venturing into the unknown they all have a common thread; risk. The faculty […]

• Weekly Web Harvest for 2016-08-14

Walmart’s Out-of-Control Crime Problem Is Driving Police Crazy To cut down on calls to police, Walmart has been rolling out a program where first-time offenders caught stealing merchandise below a certain value can avoid arrest if they agree to go through a theft-prevention program. At some higher-crime stores, the company is also hiring off-duty police […]

• Weekly Web Harvest for 2016-08-14

• Weekly Web Harvest for 2016-08-07

Amazon’s Interesting Finds/Prehistoric Invertebrates/Fraudster Calls / Boing Boing TIP: Any bones or skulls you collect can be whitened up without using chlorine bleach, which can weaken the bone. Use concentration hydrogen peroxide, which will fizz and brighten bone to a brilliant white very quickly. You need stronger stuff than the dilute peroxide found in drug […]

• Weekly Web Harvest for 2016-08-07

• WordPress/Google Spreadsheet Chimera Community

flickr photo shared by NASA on The Commons with no copyright restriction (Flickr Commons) Many professors don’t want students having to go into the backend of WordPress. Imagine also that you’re dealing with many hundreds of students and don’t want the hassle of people asking you about password resets or any other attendant drama. You’re […]

• Weekly Web Harvest for 2016-07-31

Ten Theses In Support of Teaching and Against Learning Outcomes | Jeff Noonan: Interventions and Evocations Lots of good stuff in here. “awakening in students a desire to think by revealing to them the questionability of things” h/t Amy Collier On extraordinariness — Code for America Blog — Medium I’m not a fan of the […]