Is there such a thing as a MORE direct path?

“All our steps in creating or absorbing material of the record proceed through one of the senses—the tactile when we touch keys, the oral when we speak or listen, the visual when we read. Is it not possible that some day the path may be established more directly?

Not that the whole article was a breeze to read through, but this excerpt particularly confuses me. Confuse may not be the right word, maybe intrigue would have been better, but nonetheless, each has pulls it’s own weight in my head. 

If you are driving down the road in a 55 mph zone and pass a 45 mph sign you will slow down. Assuming all of us here are of good judgement and follow the rules on a daily basis, seeing that sign triggers something in your brain and then your brain tells your foot to press the brake, or at least take your foot off the gas. All of this happens within seconds or less. An even quicker example could be hearing the words thank you and immediately responding with a “you’re welcome.” The path from that person’s lips, to your ear, brain, and everything else in between you hearing those words and sending out your own response happens in the blink of an eye, I just can’t imagine there being anything quicker that that.

I’m not sure that there is a simpler or even more direct path to get to these kinds of conclusions.

6 Responses to “Is there such a thing as a MORE direct path?”

1. Avatar of Anisa
    Anisa June 12, 2014 at 9:25 pm #

Interesting point. And maybe in our brains the connections are already very direct, so we should model technology to work like our brains and find the most direct path.
    I think things can be updated to be more efficient that we didn’t even realize needed to be updated, but we couldn’t imagine life without the updates after!

2. Avatar of waldend
    waldend June 13, 2014 at 3:00 am #

If I understood the passage correctly, I believe he is saying the connection between our senses is the most direct way and we should try to create the same type of direct connection for recording and sharing our thoughts that way we could have so much information at our fingertips. Could you imagine being able to understand things in the same amount of time as it takes for someone to see a speed limit sign and slow down?

• Avatar of wgcampbell
      wgcampbell June 14, 2014 at 6:16 pm #

Yes, I think this is what he’s imagining. A writer named Michael Chorost imagines something like this as well in a very poignant book called World Wide Mind.

(And now I’ll see if I can write HTML in these comment fields.)

3. Avatar of nirali
    nirali June 17, 2014 at 3:07 am #

I really like how you comprehended this passage I would have never thought about seeing my senses like that. Now that I think about it, there’s no quicker way unless another scientific discovery proves otherwise!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Reviewing our shady past: Nugget #1 | Gardner Writes - June 12, 2014

[…] The complexity allows me to turn every bit of nearly everything into a bit, thus to send it at the speed of light around the world, discoverable by that world, reviewed perhaps by some part of it. What do we see […]

2. Conceptual Network Concept Experience | Sarah Bernier UNIV 200 - June 26, 2014

[…] these devices seem real, the computer is still not an organism.  I’m not sure that there is a simpler or even more direct path to get to these kinds of conclusions. Science has provided the swiftest […]