Loving the Engineers

Note: the title suggested itself when a melody from a certain song by the Roches popped into my head. That’s exactly the kind of thing that engineers might find puzzling or irrelevant, at least within an academic context, but it may tickle the funny bone of anyone who knows the Roches song I’m talking about.…

The Sweet Spots

I have been thinking very hard lately about the nature and value of focused learning, and especially the kinds of focused learning experiences we might explore and craft within school. I greatly admire the DALMOOC George Siemens and his research group at UT-Arlington crafted last fall, but I also worry a little about the binary…

Why I Teach

(Who knows how this will turn out. An impossible topic allows some latitude in the exploration, yes? I mean, what do I have to lose? ) To try to explain why I teach seems impossible to me for several reasons. I never set out to be a teacher. They told me (you know, those folks…

From Open To Connected

It’s been gnawing on me over the last couple of years that in our haste to open up schooling, we may well have missed the greater and more important aims that “open” strives toward. And while there’s no way to protect words from being twisted or co-opted, the phenomena of “openwashing” and the long long…

Inquiry Project Final!

Teachings of Zen Buddhism   Zen Buddhism was founded based on the Japanese word Zen, for it means “meditation”. The teachings of Zen is to achieve enlighten by an insightful realization that we are already an enlightened being (Noone 27). This awareness does not happen gradually, but an instant spark of insight. During meditation; you…

What Goes Up Is Rapidly Coming Down

Danielle Gailey UNIV 200 Professor Walter G. Campbell 30 July 2014   What Goes Up Is Rapidly Coming Down         The main decoration for many parties is contributing to the extinction of the Earth’s second most abundant element (“The Element Helium”). Helium, a natural gas that was found on the sun before…

Communication Technology: Mobile Phones

Technology is the most fascinating word in this modern era. Some people are against the development of technology. Well the way they talk, they end up supporting technology but never admit that. Technology has made our lives easier and we have so many things that we do not even realize their importance until we do…

Ultra Rich Environment Reflection

It was brought to my attention that I never posted a reflection on the ultra rich environment assignment. I spent days trying different themes, and designs for my site. I first tried a typical website layout, however, I did not feel as if it helped bring attention to the content on my page. I flipped…