where cultural capital meets content

Some of our Blog Posts

Here are the most recent posts from our group.

• Weekly Web Harvest for 2018-03-11

Candace Jean Andersen on Twitter: “Hey Twitter I’m on a mission: The woman in this photo was an attendee at a 1971 International Conference on Biology of Whales. She is the only woman, & the only one captioned “not identified” in the article I found the p Pretty wild to watch this kind of research […]

• H5P Default Dynamic Sizing

If you’re running the H5P plugin in WordPress, you might notice that there’s an advanced settings option when you go to embed it. If you click on that you’ll see an additional script to add to enable dynamic sizing of embedded H5P content. I wanted that but that option doesn’t make much sense in our […]

• Photography – #164

Starbucks mermaid A post shared by @ twwoodward on Mar 8, 2018 at 4:46pm PST #subgenius A post shared by @ twwoodward on Mar 11, 2018 at 12:03pm PDT

• Follow the Cursor Arrows in Javascript

Matt came up with a really interesting visual idea where arrows follow the cursor. He found this codepen example which was pretty close to what he envisioned (only with pill shapes). The problem was that this version used Babel, jQuery, and Underscore. That’s good if you know all those pieces but less good if you […]

• WordPress Avoid Running save_post Functions on Trashed Posts

This may be one of those things that everyone knows but it was new to me. I’m also duplicating the information I found in the StackOverflow post because I think it’s good to have information in multiple places where it might be found by other people. Additionally, writing the post makes it easy for me […]

• Weekly Web Harvest for 2018-03-04

Promisees · Courtesy of ponyfoo.com Inside Einstein’s head – an explorable explanation of relativistic spacetime The Disconnect – Issue One Please Disconnect from the Internet. This is an offline-only magazine of commentary, fiction, and poetry. Just disable your WiFi to view this issue. Rage against the machine: self-driving cars attacked by angry Californians | Technology […]

• Google Script – Plain Text

Google Sheets often thinks it’s smarter than you. That’s helpful at times and irritating at other times.1 The Google Form to Sheets path is one place where that can come up repeatedly and in ways that are hard to see. For instance, if you use the Time entry on forms, Google Sheets tries to coerce […]

• jQuery & the WordPress Rest API – 1st Image as Background

Ordinarily it’s pretty easy to get the featured image from the WordPress API. You just have to remember to add the _embed element like so https://bionicteaching.com/wp-json/wp/v2/posts?_embed But maybe there’s some reason you don’t want to set the featured image but want to get the first image from the body of the post. This chunk of […]

• Weather API + Google Sheets

I have many little robot scripts busy saving data to Google Sheets. Here’s one I made based on a little comment from one of my kid’s teachers. It goes to a very kind URL that returns the data structure at the bottom of the page. http://api.wunderground.com/api/YOUR_API_KEY/conditions/q/VA/Richmond.json It’s a pretty nice starter script for anyone wanting […]

• Weekly Web Harvest for 2018-02-25

Mitigation of Shock: 6 Steps (with Pictures) The project transports you into a London flat, thirty five years in the future. A future where extreme weather has caused global supply chains to falter. Everyday items are often either out of stock or have become expensive luxuries. In response, living space has been increasingly given over […]

• Google Form to Google Sheets to Vue Website

When @cogdog & @twoodwar Were Building Websites From Google Spreadsheets Years Ago https://t.co/Im7oCecvpg — Keegan?Long-Wheeler (@KeeganSLW) February 28, 2018 This post from Keegan kicked of this demo.1 The goal is to create a pretty flexible template for using Google Forms to Google Sheets to simple website. I opted to do this one in Vue but […]

• Add Custom Field to WordPress API & Filter

I found myself in a strange situation where I needed to know if a page had a child. Natively the WP API lets you know if a page has a parent but not the reverse. First I had to write a function that writes some data to a custom field if a page has a […]