where cultural capital meets content

Some of our Blog Posts

Here are the most recent posts from our group.

• Importing CSV into Google Sheets via Google Script

flickr photo shared by OSU Special Collections & Archives : Commons with no copyright restriction (Flickr Commons) As part of a future project, I’m looking for easy, automated ways to push/pull CSV files around. Initially I thought I’d just do the =importdata(‘http://theurl.com/data.csv”) function but I realized that had some drawbacks that made it less ideal […]

• Rethinking Lecture Capture: Instructor Presence

With an increased number of capture and publication tools available, the idea of recording a class session is an increasingly appealing option for providing students with a way to access course content. Those who cannot attend a class in person are able to view what happened at a time that works for them, while all […]

• Playing with Words – Google Sheets to jQuery Drag/Drop

flickr photo shared by Internet Archive Book Images with no copyright restriction (Flickr Commons) This is a modification of the old refrigerator poetry concept based on a request from some of our World Languages professors but it’ll likely have some broader applicability. It essentially allows for three major things. You can create draggable elements (words, […]

• Weekly Web Harvest for 2016-09-18

Welcome to the Dark Net, a Wilderness Where Invisible World Wars Are F | Vanity Fair , Look, we’re in the Internet business. We know we’re going to get hacked. We have to assume, always, that our network is already owned. It is important to go slowly and stay calm. We will soon know how […]

• Weekly Web Harvest for 2016-09-18

• Engaging with a Classroom

I was in a meeting recently where the Field of Dreams quote “If you built it they will come” was used to emphasize how much more is needed that just the creation of a space when trying to foster active learning in a classroom. Innovative spaces, without faculty and student support, fail to deliver the curricular […]

• Photography – Week 141 and 142

I wasn’t pleased enough to do a weekly post last week. I’m concentrating a bit more now and trying to get past my urge to rush to work that will be there if I take an extra ten or fifteen minutes.

• Weekly Web Harvest for 2016-09-11

Teen Sues Parents for Posting Childhood Photos on Facebook | Mental Floss But it led to legal trouble for one Austrian couple when their 18-year-old daughter slapped them with a lawsuit for refusing to remove hundreds of embarrassing baby photos, The Local reports. The teen, whose name has not been released to the public, claims […]

• Free Speech? Random Scenario Generator

Talking to Dan about his sports law course resulted in this random generator which might be fun for others. It’s still developing but I like the potential for reinforcing some concepts about free speech in a fun way that allows you to repeatedly explore the topic without it getting tedious. I thought this would be […]

• Email Support Data

I thought it might be interesting to look at my last chunk of emails by what hour they were answered. It does seem to show some patterns. Some that may not be healthy for any real separation between on/off work hours. It is good that I’ve got no email in the 1AM to 5AM zone. […]

• Re-Scraping Instagram

Back when Instagram’s API rules didn’t completely suck, I wrote a few posts on scraping it so that some of our faculty could use those data in their research. Then all their rules changed and everything broke. That’s their prerogative but it’s also my option to complain about it. But because I posted about it, […]