audiographic MHIS243

Audiographic Project

This song is titled “Work Song” and it’s written and sung by the Irish artist Hozier. He released this song as a single back in 2014.  Hozier’s life has been influenced by music ever since he was a child. When he was younger, he became a member of his school orchestra and, after he graduated, he joined a choir ensemble called Anuna. As his confidence in his musical abilities developed, Hozier decided to make music of his own. In 2013, he became an official solo artist. Once he found his own sound outside of his religious influences from his childhood, he started to make music that resembles folk and blues. He released several extended play (EP) records in his name, including the song of which I analyzed for this project.

I decided to analyze this specific song for many reasons. One reason is that this song was the starting point of his debut album, and therefore, the start of his solo career as a writer and performer. Secondly, this song almost entirely is composed of minor chords. I tend to lean towards the sadder sounding songs because they usually make the lister think. I truly believe that no one should listen to music passively, and when a song makes you think, it is nearly impossible to not actively listen to it. Lastly, the song is very minimalist (the lyrics make the song, the instrumentals are intentionally placed to fill the song). There is an obvious pattern (intro, verse 1, chorus, verse 2, chorus, verse 3, chorus, ending) and each piece adds on a textural component that fills the song just enough to guide the listener through the lyrics, but not too much that the listener is overwhelmed.