Connectivism

With theories swirling in my head, from reading George Siemens’ Connectivism: A Learning Theory for the Digital Age, Adrian Hill and Rita Kop’s Connectivism: Learning theory of the future or vestige of the past? along with watching and reading various websites, it reminded me of when I memorized the five epistemologies definitions taught in my ADLT 601 Adult Learning and Development course. More specifically the three out of the five epistemologies. First one being behaviorism, that knowledge is overtly known, comes from the environment. Then cognitivism, that knowledge is meaning-based; processed by the brain. Lastly constructivism, that knowledge is constructed; where we know the world through cultural artifacts and tools. When I compare these three epistemologies, they all differ from connectivism in one obvious way and that’s by not addressing the learning (knowledge) for the digital age, but more specifically the “learning that occurs outside of people”. With connectivism, learning doesn’t simply happen within an individual, but across networks. Networks defined as connections between entities.

As far as in terms of my project, I could see myself using this learning theory. I would demonstrate this theory by reaching out “networking” with newly, former admitted transfer college students and various campus communities. Through these networks my hope will be to bridge transfer students with their new institution, by introducing them to both the new institution and to life as a college student, as well as providing information that will promote and support academic success. The obstacles that I foresee implementing the connectivist approach to an online course, when using my project as an example, is the participation of the transfer students as well as the various campus communities. Without the variety of networks interacting with each other, the knowledge of how to better serve transfer students success would not evolve.

ADLT 640 has been really active with connectivism through the various of networks at our fingertips – from watching and reading various online videos and articles, blogging (responding to blog posts) to tweeting. We’re intertwined through our online interactions and reactions that continues to progress every week.

Powered by WordPress. Designed by WooThemes