Rubric – Arif

When it comes to grading blog posts, I feel that they can be graded on meeting post deadlines, and depth of content, use of media, and use of supporting readings/research.  However, blog posts for the most part are typically based off of people’s opinions on a particular subject matter.  Which means there usually is no definitive right or wrong answer.  Therefore I find that the rubrics of Mark Sample from the Chronicle of Higher Education and Tim Horgan are ideal.  They look to see that the topic was covered in the blog, that the author took time to put effort into researching the topic while at the same time providing their own thoughts.  I do also like the point that the blog should encourage discussion/debate, especially in an online environment where the only way to monitor participation is based on blog frequencies and the level of engagement through replies and comments.

6 thoughts on “Rubric – Arif

1. Hi Arif,
    Thanks for your post! I like your description of blog post. I agree that rubric 1 and 3 focus more about the writing. I do like rubric 3 as it provides additional structure for the writer. The only section of rubric 3 that I would delete is the enhancement part. I don’t think that is always necessary in blog post but I’m new at blogging, I may be wrong in my thinking.
    Thanks for your insight!
    Beth

2. Arif,

While initially I said that Rubric 1 was the best for this class but after reading posts and reviewing the rubrics more, I think that 3 is also a good one. I do agree with Beth regarding the enhancements (but also like her, I am very new to blogging so I could be wrong).

Kim

3. Hi, there
    I don’t think that there’s a wrong or right answer to the concept of enhancements. I took a class several years ago which required a variety of them. After writing 14 blogs this way, my writing brain found this wiring suitable. Aspects of each of the rubrics are subjective. Life is not entirely objective. We infuse ourselves into everything that we do. If the rubric guides the learner in showing what has been learned as well as engages dialogue and supports critical thinking than it is useful.
    With that being said, there are some topics that are dryer than others. Some topics are just not of great an interest than others. Instructors are no different than students. Some blog topics may not be that exciting. I personally like having a few guiding questions to consider. It helps me to stay focused and keeps the rambling at bay.
    Laurie

4. Arif,

This is a really nice succinct post. You illustrate that blogs can be assessed on a number of fronts, and I am starting to think now that each prompt should maybe be assessed in a way unique to that prompt. Some of the prompts I give are to check for understanding, some are to check to see where students are on longer projects, some are to get different view points on a topic, etc etc.

So it makes me wonder if there is a rubric flexible enough to address all blogging assignments.

Thoughts?

5. Dr. Jones, this was the focus of my post. Unless all posts are basically addressing the same questions and you would like to see them having a specific format, I’m not sure there is one rubric flexible enough to address all blogging assignments. It seems to me some assignments are more of a personal nature (sharing personal reflections, experiences, etc.) and some require more analysis. For those of us for whom using blogging as a form of group discussion is new, could you share with us more about the role you see the blog playing for the class beyond shortening transactional distance and facilitating discussion (if there is a greater role)?