The Contrast Of White Hate

tommie_smith_john_carlos

In 1968, at the Summer Olympic Games, Tommie Smith and John Carlos raised their fist during the American National Anthem. The raised fist was a symbol known as Black Power but it was subconsciously a representation of African American Social and Political Thought. The fist itself is comprised of many different parts, the fingers represent the different aspects of the Black Freedom Struggle like intersectionality, Pan- Africanism and Black Nationalism. The Palm of the fist is a melting pot of all of the reaction to the actions taken against us as persons and how it has affected our behavior and thoughts like double consciousness and nonviolence. The Palm lines embody the amount of diversity that is sewn into the cloth that is the American Black people. While every line in the cloth is different from each other possibly by class, skin tone, religion, sexual orientation, or educational background, an unbreakable bond connects them all. Each of these aspects of the fist may seem insignificant on its own, but when they come together and ball into a fist, it emits power, pride, and unity that is able to withstand the years of slavery, Jim Crow, The Civil Rights Movement, Sandford, New York, and Ferguson. African American Social and Political Thought is Black Power, the contrast of White Hate.

Say it loud, I’m black and I’m proud

James Brown – Say It Loud — I’m Black And I’m Proud Lyrics | MetroLyrics

As a student in this class this semester, my eyes were opened to understanding my blackness and being comfortable within it. My education of African American studies prior to this class was very limited. Because of this limitation, I often felt like Black Americans did not have a culture and our history was very shallow. This class caused me to make a complete 180. It allowed me to dig deeper into what I thought was a history only knee deep and understand that the culture ever growing. It sparked a passion in me that makes me hunger for more knowledge, to continue to pursue my African American studies. This class has taught me the meaning of African American Social and Political Thought,

Black Love.