What Africana Political & Social Thought is to me…

I would certainly say, the correlation between the political aspects of “black political thought & gain” and its merger with politics was generally the one thing I found the most interesting about this particular subject matter. More often than not, I’ve normally placed sociological issues of a race separate from politics. However, after reading & studying individuals such as Malcolm X, Ida B. Wells, James Baldwin, and the Black Panthers. I realize, they truly do work in a symbioses relationship; in both positive and negative realities. Even more so, realizing the political issues most African-Americans face today and their connection to past events and/seemingly politically charged acts has been truly eye-opening for me. In essence, its helped me realize the point of origin a lot of where the struggles of African-descended came to be. And, not just within the United States, but places such as Portugal, Western Africa, and France with their interconnectedness within the harsh realities of slavery whether subliminal or physical. I guess, one can say the subject matter of this course can take the knowledge they may already have via Public schooling such the establishment of Jamestown, Slavery at the point of the 18th century in the US, Reconstruction, and even the Civil Rights movement; and magnify a deeper understanding of both the political and social aspect of them and how certain or many of those past issues may still be present within today’s society. I feel the biggest things we’ve studied specifically in this course which has had the largest impact on me. I would certainly have to say was the reality of the Discriminatory Housing practices of the early 1930s-60s and the Prison Industrial Complex. In addition, not just knowing about their historical definement, but the impact these practices have had and are still having on the disenfranchisement of the African-American community. By knowing of these specific realities, has helped me understand the upbringing of not only myself, but the other boys and girls I grew up with. Therefore, its safe to say as hard as it was sitting in class sometimes and listening to the repression of my race. It has allowed me to connect more to my ethnicity and hopefully help break a seemingly never ending cycle, while at the same time develop a even stronger appreciation for the skin I am in and my desendency.

1609963_10152812937029769_1680342296677753554_n