Happy Meals

As I was reading this article I began to think about my own family experiences around the dinner table. All of them are pleasant, but a majority of them are centered around the television. My dad always talked about how as a child his mother would invite his entire family over for dinner every night and how he missed that feeling. Oddly enough, he is usually the one who will turn the television on first thing and won’t say a word throughout the meal unless it pertains to the show. My mom and I use to turn the television off on my dad so that dinner could be the time to tell everyone about your day, but that didn’t go over so well. So now my mom and I just talk over the television about whatever comes to mind. Not a perfect family meal at all, but we still give each other the opportunity outside of dinner to come to one another and talk about whatever need be. From this example, the article was right when it hinted that throughout the years some things that were the norm and maybe even a necessity way back when no longer have the same desired feeling. The article argued a lot about happy family meals linking to a decrease in alcohol and drug abuse. I find myself disagreeing with this statement and agreeing more so that the decrease starts within a family that has well communication skills and trust. Families shouldn’t only have dinner time to open up with their love ones, but any time they please no matter what the activity at hand may be. I have witnessed plenty of friends who’s families have forced them to eat dinner together and right after their meal the child or even parent for that sake  feels so overwhelmed that they lean towards alcohol or drugs for an escape. The article stated an incident where the father would complain about the daughters weight, forcing her to eat less around him and then binge eat behind closed doors. Maybe the father thought he was doing what was right, but bottom line he was only making his daughter less healthy and more overweight. Family dinners shouldn’t be the time where negative feelings flood the table, those feelings should be left at the door. Families should stop worrying about the ideal happy family meal and concentrate more on getting to understand their family members. I’m not saying that happy family meals do not exist, I applaud the ones that do. On the other hand, the ones that struggle with this need to be given deeper thought.

One thought on “Happy Meals

• September 1, 2014 at 10:00 pm

You make a lot of good points in the post. I definitely don’t agree with parenting telling their child they should loose weight. Maybe inform the child about other healthy options they could take or maybe as a family they could take a health class so no one feels cornered out. My family sits downs and eats dinner together as much as we can. We never turn the TV on. I use to ask sometimes as a kid if we could and my mother would not let us because then we all wold be staring at the TV instead of talking and she is right.