I Will Eat All of That!

As I was reading this article, this one sentence stuck out to me.

“Learning plays a crucial role in their model because a child learns not how much food to eat, but also which foods to eat. Associative learning processes are important because certain foods can be associated with positive consequences or negative consequences.”

At a young age I was never taught how much food I should or should not be eating nor was I ever forced to eat something I didn’t like. My mom always let me eat what I wanted. I remember being four years old and going to McDonald’s with my mom and brother. He always ordered a big mac while I got stuck with the happy meals. One day I got fed up with the little meal I was getting and asked my mom for a big mac. She didn’t argue one bit, she ordered me the big mac and I ate every bit of it. I didn’t know back then that McDonald’s was such a horrible food industry or that maybe a four year old shouldn’t have been eating that much. I was hungry and wanted more food, the thought process didn’t go any further. Don’t get me wrong, I still ate my vegetables, fruits, and rarely turned down any kind of food that was presented my way. It wasn’t until I reached my teenage years when I started observing what are considered healthy foods. I honestly do not believe in forcing your child to eat something simply because it may be good for them. Why not save you the headache, your child the tears, and find either an alternative way to prepare the awful food group they may not like or find a different source of the same nutrients? Having your child witness a negative consequence all because they didn’t eat something you wanted them to, in my opinion will only led them to be closed minded to different food groups and cultures.

success-kid-meme-generator-gets-a-big-mac-at-burger-king-0dabee

3 thoughts on “I Will Eat All of That!

• September 6, 2014 at 10:11 pm

Well its nice to know some kids have back bones? I mean, happy meals are fine and all, but am I not allowed to eat a bigger portion? Way to go Liz! I personally dont believe in forcing your children to eat anything. Granted, they should always eat their fruits and vegetables (for healthy bones or whatever blah blah blah), but every now an then they should be allowed to pig out and eat junk food. Junk food rules the world. There are always alternatives to make children eat yucky food in a way that they would like.

• September 7, 2014 at 3:02 pm

I was into fast food a lot too when I was a kid! But as I got older, I’ve also turned to a lot more healthy foods, especially leaving for college. I totally agree that forcing food on a child only causes more problems. I had that experience when I was younger and it definitely affected me negatively as I got older. There are definitely other ways to help children eat healthier without taking the ‘force-feeding’ route. Loved reading your post! And the meme made me laugh hehe!

• September 9, 2014 at 5:42 am

I completely agree with you Liz, it’s great that your mom had the approach of letting you decide what to eat. It’s funny that kids have a fascination with McDonalds. I too remember getting happy meals, but I remember not being able to have my toy until I was finished with all my food. I like your idea of finding an alternative way to provide a source nutrients without forcing kids to eat healthy items simply because they are healthy. I hope I will try to be open minded with my own kids some day, because you make a great point that forcing certain foods can cause children to be close minded of cultures as a whole.