Concept Experience 2 – Almahmoud

0

My “inquiry based project” was centralized on why nothing, within the dimensions of space, can travel faster than the speed of light.
My original “obvious statement” was:

Nothing can travel through space faster than light.

I began by asking a series of questions, such as

What is space?

According to Dictionary.com, space is

“the unlimited or incalculably great three-dimensional realm or expanse in which all material objects are located and all events occur.”

What is light?

According to Yourdictionary.com,

“The form of electromagnetic radiation that acts upon the retina of the eye, optic nerve, etc., making sight possible: this energy is transmitted in a vacuum at a velocity of 299,792,458 meters per second (c. 186,000 miles per second)”

Why is nothing faster than light?

Three equations: Einstein’s mass-energy equivalence, time dilation, and length contraction equations

Screen Shot 2014-06-18 at 11.52.17 PM

As an object’s velocity approaches the speed of light, it’s mass becomes exponentially larger, requiring an exponential increase in energy required to move it. This increase will continue to occur until the object tries to travel 186,000 miles per second, which prompts an infinite amount of energy to accelerate an infinite amount of mass, as noticeable in the premier equation. The second equation displays the relationship between the length of an object and its velocity; as an object’s velocity approaches the speed of light, according to the second equation, its length will become zero. The third equation displays the relationship between time and velocity, and as the velocity approaches the speed of light, time slows down until it becomes undefined.

I began my research, using the internet as my compass. I used Google as my compass, with other links as routes. As I’ve scoured the internet for information, I have noticed, that over time, the ease of access of the internet has increased dramatically. I remember having to use  dial-up, and waiting for the connection to proceed, and yet, I believed that my internet connection was extremely fast. Now, I believe that my internet is faster than before (I hope so), and due to my previous experiences, I know it can get faster! Whether they are symbiotic, parasitic, or commensalist, our relationships with computers will evolve. I cannot wait to see how we increase the potential of the computer and how close we can get to the brink of a truly symbiotic relationship.

12 thoughts on “Concept Experience 2 – Almahmoud

1. Your blog post was really interesting and informative and made something very complex easier to understand. It’s interesting that our information now travels almost at the speed of light through fiber-optics and satellites.

2. So I really liked this because there is a technical element to it that only a person who is genuinely curious and interested in the topic would choose to take on. However, I either don’t properly understand the assignment or I don’t understand how your topic fits into the assignment. How do you relate this back to the internet or technology?

• The ease of access of technology allowed me to look up information that I would have had to find at the library. Furthermore, not only was the information vast and varying, but it came almost instantaneously.

3. Great work! But I think the definition of a space on Dictionary.com, “the unlimited or incalculably great three-dimensional realm or expanse in which all material objects are located and all events occur,” is a bit of a cheat and the site is trying to pass a “definition” which is not a definition at all by using too many unnecessary words. such as “incalculably great” or “realm or expanse”.

4. Your blog post was very interesting, I like the fact that you are incorporating science in your project! You broke down that initial line, “Nothing can travel through space faster than light” really well.

I would just like to see how you plan on connecting this topic to the Inquiry Project whether it be on digital media or technology. If it pertains to technology specially I could see where you could elaborate on but digital media might be a little tough.

Like me you let Google be your compass. In my post I had a lot of Wikipedia links because that was my compass. Great post, I would like to see how your research continues!

5. You’re analogy about the internet being a compass is interesting. I think it’s almost like the compass and an outline of the map! And then you can fill in the map with your ideas a questions, it gives you a framework to go off of.

6. This is exactly why I believe the internet is such amazing tool. It gives us answers to questions, no matter how simple or complex, in such a short time. One Google search away from figuring out anything your mind wonders. Eventually I can see this working within our own minds, were we are all connected and every curiosity we have on the go, can be answered by just thinking the question and seeing how fast we uptain knowledge.

7. Your blog post is quite informative. You have explained quite complex concepts in easy words. Internet is truly a blessing now days, we can retrieve any information we want. We get connected with internet and we get everything we want.

8. What is obvious to one is more complex to another! I enjoyed this post, it was informative and not like anything on my personal list of obvious statements. I think that the first comment listed above build a nice thought off of your blog, the speed at which our information now travels. Way to bring physics to the table of discussion! This has been one of my favorite posts I’ve read.. Good job!

9. I really liked the way you organized your blog post to walk us through your thought process and internet searches. It allows for progression and helps to illustrate your point about how far computer and internet technology has come.

10. This post makes me think of an old internet commercial in which a father turns a light switch on and off while clicking around the internet, exclaiming that their connection was as fast as light. With your newly acquired knowledge of the speed of light, would it be possible to quantify the speeds of an internet connection and compare it to that of the speed of light? Since an internet connection is not a physical object, if it could be quantified, it is possible that the connection speed could reach light speed; correct?