“Augmenting Human Intellect” Concept Experience – Almahmouda

0

Before entering the class, I felt a little skeptic about the idea of Thoughtvectors, as they seemed a like a tacky name attached to an elementary idea. Concept experiences are fun, too, as they have encouraged me to become vulnerable when it comes to my personal life, which I think is a valuable asset to successfully launching a Thoughtvector into Concept Space. I feel that the discussion of an interesting issue, such as the man-computer symbiosis, truly stimulates the launch of Thoughtvectors into Concept Space. The influence of Thoughtvectors on each other does not necessarily generate a homogenous pool of opinions; I have referenced to other blogs that I do not agree with!

When data of any sort are placed in storage, they are filed alphabetically or numerically, and information is found (when it is) by tracing it down from subclass to subclass. It can be in only one place, unless duplicates are used; one has to have rules as to which path will locate it, and the rules are cumbersome. – Vannevar Bush

Vannevar bush talks about the cumbersome rules of data storage, yet Reddit has incorporated simplicity into the fibers of its website; content is a click away, and returning to the page is a click back. Reddit’s rules, or outline, characterize its prestige; the website attracts people form all walks of life, and it helps keep the “specialized” from developing a narrow perspective. As I’ve scoured the internet for information, I have noticed, that over time, the ease of access of the internet has increased dramatically. I cannot wait to see how we increase the potential of the computer and how close we can get to the brink of a truly symbiotic relationship.

“The approach of Man-Computer Symbiosis seem to me to be that society today moves to fast for us to realize how quickly we are falling into a technology dependent era.”Crookech

The progress we have made is reflective of growing international specialization, and very few humans, let alone scientists, could have foreseen such an exponential growth in development. Information is the plethora of butterfly, attempting to escape the confines of the web of the internet. Truly, there is so much room for humanity to improve, especially in areas of human intellect! Our contributions to medicine, technology, mathematics, and the humanities will increase tenfold.

“The association between human and computer is so strong that human has to use computer to do every single thing” – Khoorivcu

Computing machines can do readily, well, and rapidly many things that are difficult or impossible for man, and men can do readily and well, though not rapidly, many things that are difficult or impossible for computers. That suggests that a symbiotic cooperation, if successful in integrating the positive characteristics of men and computers, would be of great value. – J. C. R. Licklider

“Technology does have its negative sides however it does have its positive sides as well.” – Nirali

I find the dichotomous natures of man and computer to be very interesting. Furthermore, a dilemma, that arises with the increasing  dependance on technology, terrorizes my mind; if we are to grow increasingly dependent  on technology, we limit ourselves to other symbiotic relationships.

“The individual does not use this information and this processing to grapple directly with the sort of complex situation in which we seek to give him help. He uses his innate capabilities in a rather more indirect fashion, since the situation is generally too complex to yield directly to his motor actions, and always too complex to yield comprehensions and solutions from direct sensory inspection and use of basic cognitive capabilities.” Douglas C. Engelbart

“The rise of technology has influenced our lives more greatly than we will ever know, and recognizing when our society could completely fall under the reigns of technology will be vital.” – Melikazand

To those who have gotten this far in my ThoughtVector, I will stop evading the reality of the situation; the growing affiliation of technology into our lives, for better or worse, yields a possibility that our relationship with computers can turn us into slaves, mindlessly accomplishing a goal after another. However, this possibility can be small if we manage our relationship correctly. If we balance our relationship with technology, with the idea of living and experiencing life, (who is to say they should be separated; Maybe I’m wrong) we can avoid becoming cyborgs.

1 thought on ““Augmenting Human Intellect” Concept Experience – Almahmouda