The Higgs Field – RESEARCH!

1

Screen Shot 2014-07-08 at 6.05.37 PM“Without the field that the Higgs Boson comes from, some very important fundamental particles, like the electron wouldn’t have any mass. In that case, electrons would zoom across the universe at the speed of light without being trapped into atoms. Without atoms we wouldn’t have any chemistry. Without chemistry, there would be no biology. And without biology, there would be no life, here on earth.”
~ Prof. Alex Read

As a physicist, the idea of entropy does not intimidate me as much as it should; the very notion that every object in the universe will degrade to atoms and fundamental particles tends to terrorize the mind. Nevertheless, Professor Alex forced me to stop and think, to truly think about the margin of error in life. It is not a matter of being “blessed” or “fortunate;” our existence is intricate and tortuous, with each aspect carefully intertwined with another. Truly, our existence is marred with various scientific fields, such as the electromagnetic field or the Higgs field, and we cannot exist without such fields.

Our existence rests on a pillar of sand, with each grain supporting the structure of the whole. Each grain is dire to the structure, as there exists an astronomical degree of interdependent dimensions within the structure. And yet, over either an everlasting or instantaneous period of time, the pillar will degrade, and each grain of sand that composed the pillar from which you stood will disperse throughout the beach of humanity, furnishing the creation of another pillar.

What is a Higgs field? What role does the Higgs field serve in this reflection? Why am I talking about the Higgs field and not the Higgs Boson?

Simply put, imagine a large group of CERN scientists at a bar. Picture a tax collector walking through the crowd.

Screen Shot 2014-07-08 at 7.06.43 PMWill he have a hard time getting through the crowd?
Probably not!

Screen Shot 2014-07-08 at 7.10.17 PMMost tax collectors do not interact with most scientists in the same way that some particles do not interact with the Higgs field, such as the photon. Particles, such as the photon, that do not interact with Higgs field are called massless.

Now, imagine the man himself, Peter Higgs, entered the bar filled with CERN scientists.

Screen Shot 2014-07-08 at 7.12.12 PMWill Higgs have a hard time getting through the group of scientists?
Probably so! Who can resist those floating, bushy eyebrows? Personally, they remind me of an albino squirrel’s tail 🙂

Screen Shot 2014-07-08 at 7.15.19 PM Higgs will most likely have a difficult time getting through the group, as the group of scientists carry a strong desire to discuss their work with him. The interaction with the group of scientists yields Peter Higgs’ unforgettable trait, his mass.

The interaction with the Higgs Field grants the particle its respective mass, just as the interaction with the crowd granted Peter Higgs a longer time to get through the crowd. Remember, Peter Higgs and the tax collector were equal in mass before entering the room (0 interaction).Screen Shot 2014-07-08 at 7.21.25 PM

However, as the Higgs field interacted with each of them, they received their amount of mass.

Wait, you still haven’t explained the HIGGS BOSON.
Oh, how aware I am of that fact.

The Higgs Boson is the rumor that Albert Einstein has re-emerged from the dead. As a man in the corridor in another room whispers the news to his friend, the equally dispersed scientists catch wind and proceed to clump together to discuss.

Screen Shot 2014-07-08 at 7.29.06 PMAs they finish discussing, they returning to their original spot, and another subgroup of scientists hear the rumor. The scientists that have just heard the rumor begin to clump together to discuss. Another subgroup hears, and the pattern continues throughout the group. The continuous clumping of scientists is the Higgs Boson, and that clumping is responsible for the interaction between Peter Higgs and the scientists, and to an extent, responsible for all mass. The Higgs Field is composed of Higgs Bosons.

The Higgs Boson is a grain in the pillar of sand that helps support you. The Higgs Boson has always been on the beach, and many think it’s important in knowing how the beach came into existence.

Still confused about the Higgs boson? I expect you to be! 🙂
I wish I knew how to embed this into my post, but alas, I cannot. Please check this comic out!

Sources list (Because i didnt make the pictures, video, or quote!):

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/10/08/science/the-higgs-boson.html?_r=0#/?g=true&higgs1_slide=0