Language Arts

Case Study with Running Record and Analysis 

Final Case Study

I worked with a single 1st grade student throughout the semester. We worked on improving his language arts skills. One of the major growth I saw from the child was in his phonological awareness skills. Throughout my time with him I did two different running  records and had the opportunity to compare the results.

Diversity Lesson 

Below you will find a lesson I conducted in a second grade classroom. The diversity lesson focused on incorporating the needs of individuals with disabilities into the classroom. The students used art as a method of showing they understood the concept.

Diversity Lesson

Running Record Lesson Plan

Below I have a lesson plan for a running record.  I did this with every student in the class I was in practicum with. Running records are a great way to evaluate  where students are at to better help them learn. Being able to do this activity with so many students was an amazing opportunity to see different students strength and weakness and to come up with a plan to help them learn.

Running Record Lesson Plan

Guided Reading Lesson Plan

Bellow I have included a lesson plan for a read aloud. In my second grade classroom we were focusing on predictions. I chose a book that gave hints throughout it of what would come next to assist the students. When doing read aloud it is important to have the students working throughout the book not just at the beginning and end, because of this I created a worksheet with different parts to do at different times. Through this lesson I learned how important it is to ask questions throughout the stories we read to children.

Guided Reading Lesson Plan

Vocabulary Lesson Plan 

For this lesson I worked with my case study student to improve upon his vocabulary. We examined vocabulary found in the text “The Big Cat”. The student responded positively from this 3 day lesson and showed improvement because of it.

Vocab Lesson

Tool Kit of Books

For this assignment I focused on making a list of books to help with students character development. I have compiled a list of books to help teach students emotions, responsibility and diversity.

Tool Kit of Books

Student Writing Sample

For this assignment I worked with the student I was tutoring to see his writing abilities. I used this as a tool to evaluate his abilities to better help him.

Writing Sample