Final TPACK

I appreciated the feedback and hope that I made the appropriate changes. I think I may still be struggling to perfect the lesson plan because I haven’t nailed down each and every resource that I will use therefore making it hard to explain the effectiveness of each resource in the TPACK.  Once I have the chance to sit down and devote time to creating the module it will be easier to defend the “why” of each resource.

**I am still unsure what to take away from my lesson plan and what to add.  I think I will be able to address the deficiencies once I  have time in week 10’s assignment to work on my module and decide what activities work best for my set objectives.

Lesson Description:

This lesson is part of a larger module on the Electoral College.  There are 3 lessons total and this lesson will focus on a historical analysis of the Electoral College.  Students will record their preliminary thoughts and opinions on the EC, discover the motivations behind the creation of the EC and locate and analyze the Constitutional context of the EC, analyze and create charts and graphs that provide a picture of the EC throughout American history and compose a digital report that documents public opinion of the EC through the view of the American people.

1. The main Content (C) of this lesson is the historical analysis of the Electoral College including its creation, role in American history and the opinions its garnered from the American people.
  2. The main Pedagogy (P) of this lesson includes the facilitation of student driven discussion of their prior knowledge of the EC and asynchronous and synchronous student participation and collaboration in research, development of analytical tools, analysis of historical trends and data, reporting on findings and student chosen/directed assessment.
  3. The main Technology (T) of this lesson is the use of Schoology as the learning platform directing students to online discussion boards, online graph/chart generators, online research resources including news articles, videos, social networking sites and polling data, online note taking tools and the availability of multiple online assessment tools.

Pedagogical Content Knowledge (PCK)

Through student driven discussion, students will have the ability to first establish their initial understanding of the EC and then work through the misconceptions (your vote doesn’t count, elites have the last say etc.).  Discussion will allow students to debunk the myths about the EC and will be tasked with researching these myths and providing feedback to each other to help classmates better understand the content.  Many students will most likely have the same misconceptions so this will allow them to explore those together.

They will be able to compile data on the EC and then create and manipulate charts and graphs, giving them another mechanism to interpret information about the EC rather than just “reading” it.  Students will analyze social media posts and collect public opinion on the EC

For the assessment portion of this lesson, students will have the chance to write a newspaper article about a historical Presidential Election of their choice and the role of the EC in that election, createa commercial that advertises for or against the EC based opinions of the founding fathers, or conduct and report on an interview with at least one person concerning their opinion about the EC and compare and contrast how that interview is a reflection of the overall feeling of the EC in the U.S. both currently and historically.

Support: First-hand experience with Schoology and other web based tools I will use in the module have proven to be successful and are supported by the best practices we’ve been studying in the last few weeks of this course.  These strategies will encourage independent learning, a supportive learning environment, and student collaboration and communication.

Technological Content Knowledge (TCK)

Utilizing online resources will be beneficial when teaching the Electoral College because it will allow students to choose the type of resource that best appeals to their learning styles.  This is important when trying to understand a difficult concept.  Students will be able to analyze charts that organize data to explain the relationship between the electoral vote and the popular vote and how often each does not match in order to help debunk certain myths that usually surround the EC.  Students will be able to utilize class discussions to pose questions, share resources they think helped them understand more difficult concepts and create and share study aids that not only help them to make their way through the material and show their mastery but help each other by sharing those finished products.

The technologies in this lesson are carefully chosen in order to insure that students have easy access to material and resources needed to achieve the stated objectives.  Schoology will allow for an organized learning environment that guides students easily through the learning process.  Technologies such as Padlet have been utilized in my AP Government course before so students will have already been exposed to several of the technologies utilized in this course.  Students will be able to communicate and address any questions with peers and the teacher at ease due to the communication tools provided to them by Schoology.  Interactive technologies will allow students to successfully tackle difficult content and choose resources that most closely fit their learning styles and preferences.  These technologies will provide choices and encourage autonomy amongst students.

Support: As stated by J.V. Boettcher, courses should focus on content resources and applications that provide easily accessible examples and encourages the use of current events.  These technologies are both easy to use and provide valuable resources that students can relate their learning experience to.

Technological Pedagogical Knowledge (TPK)

The technologies used in this lesson will allow me to differentiate the lesson for all learners and encourage students to make independent decisions that best fits their needs.  The technologies will facilitate smooth transitions from activity to activity and provide and organized digital learning environment.  I will be able to provide quick feedback and grading to allow students to address areas of needed improvement.

Support: The use of Schoology as the learning platform supports Best Practice 2 as stated by Boettcher; create a supportive online course community through a balanced dialogue of the 3 dialogues mentioned.

Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge (TPACK)

Through this lesson students are provided clear cut expectations/objectives, the means to achieve these objectives through varied resources and web tools and the communication tools necessary to feel supported and autonomous in their learning.

Support: As stated by Boettcher, online learning should provide core concept learning with customized and personalized learning experiences, allow students to customize their learning experiences to achieve pre-set objectives.  My hope is that this lesson (and module) will do just that.

One thought on “Final TPACK”

1. Yet, hey, if that doesn’t persuade you, this will certainly
    – while GSA SER is a one-time repayment (always remember concerning
    the upcoming godly GSA SER discount rate), SEnuke XCr sets you back $147.