Concept Experience Connections

I have to say this assignment wasn’t as painful as I thought it’d be. I guess I got lucky with a topic that I found through a movie I enjoy. So far the similarities I’ve seen with other people’s concept experiences is that we all used Google as our main research tool; which I think is great since we can search the questions we came up with while brainstorming.

Morganne Perez began her research on the basis of Pandora.com and music. Similarly I’m hoping to use a website of entertainment, Pinterest, as part of my topic or beginning point (I only used Pinterest at the end of my concept searching and it didn’t get me anywhere, thankfully Morganne had more luck with hers). She found great topics of how people don’t like music; opposite of what I think she expected to find. Meanwhile I also wasn’t expecting to come across the topic of technology making its users angry while being enjoyable and helpful to others. I’m definitely keeping tabs on her and her topic.

Meredith Brindley also began with searching a very basic statement: “Red is a color.” I enjoyed reading her post and where her research took her, but she was a little all over the place since red is a broad concept and has many connotations. I think she settled on disorders having to do with seeing (or not seeing) color, and I’m finding a connection between her and Morganne and their focus on the absence of their subject (absence of color and music).

And lastly, Mariah Kahn‘s post was actually my role model for this assignment; she started by telling us multiple of her brainstormed basic statements about her topic (Wikipedia), and it gave me an idea of how basic I should be thinking about my topic. She also used Google to find her articles ,which again most of us seemed to, and I commented on her post that she was hitting dead ends due to the fact it was Google and probably not full of reliable and scholarly articles.  After doing the assignment myself I’m kind of eating my own words, I think I found great articles about my topic, but I guess if we’re to officially prove anything, we’ll need scholarly articles and the word of professionals. We’ll all tackle that when we get there, I guess.

I guess one critique I can give my concept experience is focusing on one type of technology that’s frustrating, but I think there’s something to be said about all types of computers (calculators, desktops and laptops, printers, etc.) understanding a different language than we are, and that disconnect is the fuel to our frustration.
**Also, after reading everyone’s concept experience, I’m a bit confused as to whether or not I was supposed to be focusing on the last nugget, my “primary text” I plan on using for my main research topic (Pinterest), or I was supposed to have combined my nugget with my primary text. It’s not a huge deal, but some clarification would be nice.