CT Prompts – In class writing Post

4 ) The ethicalĀ  implications of de-platforming conspiracy theories are very broad. For one, once someone or something gets attention, it becomes more prevalent that something will get more attention. For example, Alex Jones was widely recognized by a platform, then they all ended up catching on and giving him an ultimate ban. This provides closure for the government in ensuring that the American people weren’t being brainwashed from an extremist. I can also see the argument against it, as he has the right to free speech and is able to post whatever he pleases. In my mind, I think that it was a good idea that he was banned on all forms of social media. His name screams “Conspiracy theory” so when people read his tweets, they are more inclined to believe in some crazy theory that Mr. Jones was able to come up and talk about. Factors that come to play are wether or not they’re hurting the American government, hurting an individual, or promoting violence or hate. These are factors that definitely come into play when dealing with conspiracy theorists and the theories they make to the public.