That’s so Meta – Concept Experience #5

So I’m not sure that all of these posts “clearly demonstrate the use of personal, interactive, networked computing as a “metamedium,” as something with “unanticipated” or surprising uses.” However, most of them can relate to the use of such a metamedium since they are mostly theoretical concepts on how the way math is taught could be changed.

MATH IS ART

After reading Lockhart’s Lament I was inspired by his work and his initial analogy of the current state of mathematics education in which he details the nightmares of an artist and a musician (I recommend reading the first  page of his paper) who’s art forms have been reduced and taught to public school students who learned paint-by-numbers and complex musical theory. And they both wake up scared that their beautiful art forms had been reduced “to something mindless and trivial”.

So the idea of modelling a math class like an art class struck me as ideal. I began researching art class curriculum, and not surprisingly, I found very little. There wasn’t much structure and not many planned lesson plans available to teachers. And the lesson plans I did find online (which were more like general descriptions for each grade) were very broad, very abstract, and left room for teachers to let the students explore and learn through exploration.

This also led me to the question, who teaches art classes? ARTISTS! Who teaches mathematics? Hint: probably not mathematicians.

So all of this brought me to ask the questions, how can we make math class more like art class?

LET THEM EAT PROOFS

Screen Shot 2014-07-17 at 12.29.58 PM

A proof from a case study of a young girl who began proving her work in 1st grade.

Inspired again by Lockhart’s Lament along with many other sources that talked about students ability to prove their work, and in proving their work they would better learn and understand concepts behind mathematics. One of my favorite examples is the 3-act format lesson plan-one which I think could be implemented as long term projects in classrooms. A video introduction of them problem followed by group work and problem solving where students come up with their own unique explanations and solutions to problems.

Screen Shot 2014-07-17 at 12.40.28 PM

The power of a video problem really interested me, because it allows students to visualize the problems, even outside of class, and then discover and explore on their own. Even just getting them to think about the question before coming to class could get students thinking and ready for interactive learning.

INQUIRY PROPOSAL – SECOND DRAFT

Specifically the “My Project In The Concept Space Of The Web” section.

I take a lot in inspiration for the type of paper I want to write from NPR. The way they represent their ideas with video, sound, hyperlinks and text combined is a super effective way to communicate ideas (and NPR is just cool.)

So I think that using this style of representation for my own ideas will be a great way to relay information and opinion. (side note, have you heard the bad costumer service call yet? If not, listen.)

This is not really a way I used a metamedium, but a way I will use a metamedium for my final project!

3 thoughts on “That’s so Meta – Concept Experience #5”

1. Montessori schools are a great source of research if you want to explore more qualitative thinking over quantitative thinking.
    I think you are doing a great job of using the internet and your blog posts as metamediums; to me, it seems that you have gone beyond the typical, formulaic thinking and delved into the configuration of internet/blog posts more as putty in your hands.