Focus!

I am researching how mathematics in public education can be changed in a way that reflects the true nature of mathematics as an art form.  A strong foundation in mathematics would allow students to learn how to problem solve effectively and think critically.  Neurologically, the brain is most effective at learning (and learning how to learn) in adolescence. Seeing as mathematics is a discipline of reasoning, it makes sense to alter the way mathematics is taught to encourage mental growth.

Sources:

Bereday, George Z. F., and Luigi Volpicelli. “Philosophical Theories of American Education.” Public education in America; a new interpretation of purpose and practice,. . Reprint. New York: Harper, 1958. . Print.

“Federal Role in Education.” Federal Role in Education. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 July 2014. <http://www2.ed.gov/about/overview/fed/role.html>.

Bass, Randall V.. “The Purpose Of Education.” The Educational Forum: 128-132. Web. 22 July 2014.
Hardy, G. H., and C. P. Snow. A mathematician’s apology,. ed. London: Cambridge U.P., 1967. Print.

Lockhart, Paul. A mathematician’s lament. New York, NY: Bellevue Literary Press, 2009. Print.

Purcell, Andrew. “Brain’s synaptic pruning continues into your 20s.” New Scientist: 9. Web. 22 July 2014.

Kostovic, I., M. Judas, and Z. Petanjek. “Extraordinary neoteny of synaptic spines in the human prefrontal cortex.” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences: 13281-13286. Web. 22 July 2014.

Klein, David. “A Brief History of American K-12 Mathematics Education in the 20th Century .” Mathematical Cognition. : Information Age Publishing Inc, 2003. . Print.

One thought on “Focus!”

1. As an artist, I feel that taking the way math is taught back to an art form would be a huge success. It’s weird but I’m pretty good at math, considering I’m artsy, you’d think that those two don’t mix. But as an artsy person I can tell you that it would come even easier to me if it was brought back to this form! Very interested in reading the final product!