Just a few reasons to consider Collard Greens!
- Contribute to blood-clotting, and may help maintain a healthy cardiovascular system – due to high levels of Vitamin K.
- Great for bone health, as they provide a good source of non-dairy calcium.
- Help protect against cancer, cataracts and heart disease through the antioxidant beta-carotene.
- Folate (a B vitamin) content can help prevent birth defects and anemia, and assist cell growth and function.
- Shown to lead to lower cholesterol levels.
- Digestive health may benefit from the fiber content of Collards – which also aids in fighting against Helicobacter pylori.
- Contains the phytonutrients lutein, lipoic acid, glucobrassicin, glucoraphanin, gluconasturtiian, glucotropaeolin, caffeic acid, ferulic acid, quercetin, and kaempferol.
Nutrient Profile – Macronutrients:
Nutrient Profile – Micronutrients:
Collard Greens growing in a California field:
How to prepare and cook Collards:
- Collards are in season between January and April, but can also likely be found year-round in supermarkets.
- Choose leaves that are dark green, and avoid limp and yellowish leaves. Smaller leaves are better.
- To keep fresh before cooking, store unwashed leaves in refrigerator’s crisper drawer.
- Rinse thoroughly before cooking.
Several links for recipe options may be found here: http://www.marthastewart.com/286291/collard-greens-recipes/@center/1009854/winter-produce#258351
Another great recipe I found (for Stuffed Collards Greens) at the New York Times website. (See link below)
1st image credit: https://www.pittsburghfoodbank.org/blog/collards/
Health benefits info: http://www.healwithfood.org/superfoods/collard-greens-health-benefits.php
Nutrient profile: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2410/2
2nd image credit: http://www.kenrockwell.com/trips/2009-06-monterey/
3rd image credit: http://www.marthastewart.com/286291/collard-greens-recipes/@center/1009854/winter-produce#196548
4th image credit: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/01/health/nutrition/01recipehealth.html?_r=0