Rodri’s Reflection Post

When I first registered for this course, I didn’t really have any idea what I was getting into, but I was excited to get to work with the Richmond Times-Dispatch in some capacity and to get to cover this bike race that everyone was talking about. When I first talked to Jeff South prior to our first meeting at the RTD, he said that we would be doing something more along the lines of Q&As with tourists in town for UCI. Q&As with people on the street would’ve been still a little nervous about, but I had already worked on reporting skills like that, so it was something that I would’ve known the basic structure of.

Something I had no idea how to do, however, is journalism through Twitter and live sports coverage. I had to write a tweet every 15 minutes for a twelve hour shift, two days in a row! I was a little overwhelmed, and to make matters worse, I forgot to pack a lunch the first day.

I adapted quickly. Once I settled into the groove of the job, people like Paul Whelan and Phil Riggan were super helpful, and to be honest, I got really swept up in the fervor of the race by the last couple days. Running around the office trying to find the live results and the names of whoever was in the break-away (and even learning terms like break-away and peloton) was actually pretty fun, and seeing people retweet and reply to the posts I made on the Twitter was really rewarding. For a few days, I was going to the Richmond Times-Dispatch and working full shifts like a real life reporter!

It was definitely an experience I won’t forget, and the social media skills that I picked up and the connections I made with people at the Times-Dispatch are already proving super valuable.

Thanks for the opportunity!

-Rodrigo Arriaza

My experience as an intern at the RTD in picture form

(For my 10 tweets, I ran the @RTDSports twitter account for the second shift.)

The front door of the Richmond Times-Dispatch office, right before I started my first day.
Newsworthy news.
Newsworthy news.
The RTD newsroom.
The RTD newsroom.
Everyone watching the big race.
Everyone watching the big race.
Watching the bike race
Watching the bike race.
The newsroom on a Sunday morning.
The newsroom on a Sunday morning.
The morning paper at my desk.
The morning paper at my desk.
Updating the @RTDSports Twitter account.
The RTD newsroom in the before everyone gets into the office.
The Richmond Times-Dispatch's report on the Kennedy assassination.
The Richmond Times-Dispatch’s report on the Kennedy assassination.

All my photos for #TheWorldsAtVCU #Richmond2015 #bikes #hashtags

A man and his dog in front of Harris Hall.
One of the bridges made by VCU in preparation for the UCI Bike Race.
VCU's Student Commons, where students commune.
VCU’s Student Commons, where students commune.
A view of VCU's Compass at the end of the day.
Students at VCU’s Compass at the end of the day.
The side of a building on Colorado Street in Richmond's Randolph area.
The side of a building on Colorado Avenue in Richmond’s Randolph area. “Cash Rules Everything Around Me.”
A view of Maymont Elementary School From Colorado Avenue in Richmond's Randolph area.
A view of Maymont Elementary School From Colorado Avenue in Richmond’s Randolph area.
A small house on Colorado and Lombardy.
A small house on Colorado and Lombardy.
A big tree on Colorado and Lombardy.
A big tree on Colorado and Lombardy.
A photo from a solo trip to Pipeline.
A photo from a trip to Pipeline.
Pumpkin Queen Camille Brenke.
Pumpkin Queen Camille Brenke.

Post #1

Hi! My name is Rodrigo Arriaza. I’m studying Print/Online Journalism here at VCU, and I’m in my junior year.  Outside of school, my interests include being straight edge, rolling my socks, eating empanadas and playing the Aladdin game for Super Nintendo.

I signed up because I didn’t really know that much about the UCI bike race. I thought that by going through this class and being in the middle of this news making event, I would be able to educate not only myself but all of the readers of the Richmond Times-Dispatch about the race and why it’s so important.

I started riding a bike to get around the city last semester, and I use it daily to get to and from my house and campus. I don’t have any experience with bicycle racing.

I mainly use Facebook, and through that I keep up with events happening around the campus and the city, make new contacts for news stories, and keep up with friends.

I’m excited to get started with this class and covering the UCI bike race in Richmond!