Thoughts On Listening: Log #1

There were three musical sounds that I found in Roden Soundwalk, Part 2. The first musical sound I chose occurred at 5:59 when out of nowhere in the track a loud “BONG” occurred using a gong. This brought me back to a restaurant in Norfolk because when you finish eating at that restaurant you have the choice of hitting the gong with a mallet. This sound is musical enough because musicians can use this unique sound at either the beginning, middle or end of a song. For example, a gong could be used to start a song or end the song in a big finish.

The second musical sound I chose occurred at 0:46, it sounded as if someone was plucking at one string with a guitar. When I heard it, it reminded me of when my sister got her first guitar and since I did not know how to play it. I would just pluck at one guitar string whenever I got a hold of it, it sort of was like a habit of just plucking at one string. It is a musical sound because many of those who play guitar, violin, cello, etc. pluck at each string before a performance to properly tune the instrument to get the pitch needed.

The last musical sound I chose occurred at 1:55 it sounds like a short tune that gets stuck in your head. This 4-note tune reminded me of a short tune my dad used to play on the piano, and it would be the only thing I could play and instantly when I heard it in Roden Soundwalk. It sounded exactly the one he taught me to play. This is a musical sound because many pop, rock, R & B, and country songs can make someone get a tune of a song stuck in their head for at least a weeklong. Also, the tune played at least 5 minutes straight and many songs have a tune that continually plays in the back of a singer and this helps distinct the song.

7 thoughts on “Thoughts On Listening: Log #1”

1. I tried to play my friends guitar once and all I did was pluck the guitar string as well, and I can see how you associated that with the sound that was playing. I would’ve never even associated those two sounds together before I read your post but now I can see the similarities.

2. I can totally relate to your second sound. I took lessons at a Guitar Center when I was younger, and there were always kids touching and, sometimes, mishandling instruments especially guitars, and that sound at 0:46 reminded me of those instances.

3. I also heard the “bong” repetition and immediately thought of a gong. Going back to this music piece I can understand what you’re saying about a guitar being plucked. It sounds far in the distance and with a low pitch.

4. Hey! I am very interested in the restaurant in Norfolk you’re talking about… I would love to visit to hit the gong! Overall, I agree with your sound choices and believe with enough work, music can be made. The gong definitely caught my attention and could be a great hook for a song.

5. Great post! I can totally relate to your first sound the gong It really stuck out to me too. I have also been to a restaurant like that where people strike the gong It reminded me of that as well!

6. Instead of a single strike, how does the repetitive nature of the gong, as Roden’s used it, shape the opening of the piece? A single strike draws attention like an exclamation point, but regular repetition suggest something different – a pulse, sense of time passing, a subtle rhythm.

What about the plucked strings sonic character makes it musical? Think beyond the experiential reference point mentioned. What is musical about the sound itself?

Keep exploring how to describe the musical elements present, through the sound itself, as the semester progresses.