Assignments Week 12

DUE MON Nov 16:

View: Watch the slide show on claims in the link provided:

http://my.brainshark.com/CLAIM-making-Booth-PPT-263154082

In this 10 minute slide show, I explain the structure of claims and talk you through examples. You should view this slide show before taking your Claims Quiz on Blackboard (see below).

Draft several versions of your claim:  After watching this quiz, draft a claim (using pen and paper!) using Booth’s model (Although I acknowledge x, I claim y because of z).  Draft the claim several times to hone your language and assure that your claim states the argument you wish to make in the because statement.  Try out synonyms for key terms and qualifying clauses.

Note:  Justin used this same model in his IP on Slacktivism.  His claim can be found at the end (last sentence) of his first section. Notice its structure follows the Booth model. Justin’s claim:

Although some assert that it does not serve as a “real” form of activism, social media is an important and valid platform for feminist activism because it aids in the organization of the feminist movement, is able to reach a wider audience than traditional activism, gives a voice to often marginalized members of society and allows for the open and public discussion of feminist ideas.

Although some assert that it does not serve as a “real” form of activism is his qualifying clause.

social media is an important and valid platform for feminist activism is his claim

because it aids in the organization of the feminist movement, is able to reach a wider audience than traditional activism, gives a voice to often marginalized members of society and allows for the open and public discussion of feminist ideas ARE his “because” statements.

Take Blackboard Claim Quiz:  After drafting on paper, take the Claim Quiz on Blackboard — Assignments — Claim Quiz.  You will need your drafts of claims to complete this quiz.

The quiz is not timed so that you can spend as long as you need going back over the slide share or rewriting your drafted claims, if needed.

Revise:   Revise your opening based on my comments and the comment of one peer.

Sketch:  It’s time to sketch out the reasons to support your claim.  Read the student model here: Argument ReasonsEvidence Sketch.  Reason statements should be written in COMPLETE sentences.  You will sketch out your reasons in a Buzzfeed-like post on your Rampages blog. See assignment below (4 Reasons Why Post):

View:  Five Reasons Why the Lawsuit Against Taylor Swift Makes no Sense.  Some of the evidence is lame, but what Buzzfeed models is the structure of making an argument, providing reasons to support that claim, and then including evidence (which of course, you will do with much more poise and development in your IP).

View:  6 Reasons You Should Get your Kid a Puppy, a humorous Buzzfeed video that lays out reasons to get a puppy for a specific audience, parents of children.  The reasons are bolded and numbered, and the evidence to support the reasons, often sarcastic, follows. For example, the fifth reason is “You Can Afford it.”  Evidence: Cost per year of owning a dog is $1100 a year, roughly $3.00 a day. This is about the same amount of a fancy coffee every day.

Rampages blog: 4 Reasons Why post.  In the spirit of Buzzfeed’s “reasons why” trope — create a blog post titled “4 Reasons Why….”  and state your argument.  The student above would write something like “4 Reasons Why Women Are Still Penalized in the Workplace.”  Or “4 Reasons Why the Workplace Hates Women” or something similar.

Then list and number your reasons, and include one piece of relevant evidence from your research to support your reasons. Then include a fun image or gif and place it under your reason or evidence (like the Taylor Swift Buzzfeed article).

Create:  (See my post on our class blog home page.) If you have not already done so, Create a Google Doc. to draft your IP project.  See “How to Create and Share a Google Document” here: http://heavy.com/tech/2014/03/how-to-make-a-google-doc-in-3-steps/

Post your revised opening, your claim, and four pages of your rough draft in the Google Doc. Make sure you give me permission to edit (not just view, which is the default) your paper. (This way I can give feedback directly on your draft).

Post:  In a response to my post on our class blog’s homepage, post a link to your Google doc.

DUE WED Nov 18

View video on integrating sources using signal phrases:  The following tutorial explains what a signal phrase is, and how to use them to successfully integrate quotes or paraphrases into your rough draft. http://bcs.bedfordstmartins.com/rewriting2e/#526483__933952__

Draft:  Continue drafting your rough (beta) draft in Google Docs.  Make sure you post a link to your Google Doc on my post at the top of our class blog’s home page.

Goal:  6 pages of your draft by today.

DUE FRI Nov 20

Draft:  Continue drafting your rough draft (beta) in Google Docs.  Goal: 8 pages of your draft by today.

I Will respond to whatever you have in Google docs by the end of the day today, so the more you have written, the more feedback you will receive from me.  Make sure you post a link to your Google Doc on my post at the top of our class blog’s home page, and make sure that you’ve allowed outside viewers to EDIT (and not just ‘view”) your document.