My project Among the Course Thinkers

Screen Shot 2015-10-16 at 11.16.58 AM

(click on the image to make it larger for viewing)

Where my project fits into the course readings

I really like how this student explores the range of directions for his/her inquiry project.  For the concept experience this week, he/she would need to add nodes to this map that indicate how pieces of his/her project intersect with the thinkers we’ve read in class.  

For this mapping assignment, first break down your project into key components — issues you’ve run across in your research.  Your IP will likely not cover all components — but for this map, you are should map every related issue from your research at this point.

Then review your nuggets from all of the key thinkers in the course — going back to Bush’s “As We May Think” in week 2, all the way through Goldberg and Kay from week 8.  Review the readings themselves with your research from last week in mind.  Then figure out how pieces of your project intersect with 3 of the readings/thinkers.

I encourage all of you to be creative when making these connections.  Even though your course readings were written decades ago —  the writers were revolutionary in their thinking, and this specific topic of “black solidarity through social media” is an outgrowth of some of the visionary thinking of the Bush, Liklider, Englebart, Nelson, Kay and Goldberg.  It is the student’s challenge (and your challenge) to figure out how his/her project “fits” in among at least 3 of the thinkers.

I see numerous ways his project intersects with the course thinkers.  “Black spaces on social media,” for example, can intersect with Goldberg and Kay’s “personal dynamic media” concept. In their conclusion they ask: “What would happen in a world in which everyone had a Dynabook? If such a machine were designed in a way that any owner could mold and channel its power to his own needs, then a new kind of medium would have been created: a metamedium, whose content would be a wide range of already-existing and not-yet-invented media.”  Black Twitter is, in many ways, a “personal dynamic media” for a particular group of people, even individuals, and it has been “mold(ed,”  and it’s power “channelled” to meet that individual and group’s needs.  Since Goldberg and Adele were interested in how media is personalized for individual uses — Black Twitter is a web space that enacts the kind of personalization of media that these thinkers envisioned.

I would like you to not simply add a word “Licklider” to the map — but pull out a key concept in Licklider and place it on the map.Then in a footnote below the map, provide a fuller explanation about how your project intersects with the key concept you’ve added.

So in the above example, I would place “Goldberg and Kay,” and “personal dynamic media,” beside “Twitter” and “Black Spaces on Social Media,” and then I would add a footnote with the explanation I give above, where I quote Goldberg and Kay and make intersections with how Twitter has been a space that has been personalized by specific group of people.   

Show intersections with 3 of the course readings.

I would suggest mapping your thoughts by hand, then transferring them to a map created in Word on using MindMup:  MindMup is a free mind mapping tool that can be used online, with Google Drive, and on your desktop. MindMup works like most mind mapping tools in that you can create a central idea and add child and sibling nodes all over a blank canvas. MindMup nodes can contain text and links. When you’re ready to save your MindMup mind map you can save it to Google Drive, save it to your desktop, or publish it online. If you publish it online, you can grab an embed code for it to post it in a blog post or webpage.

See the MindMup map I created below using only the “add child” and “edit node” buttons.  I only connected to one thinker; you should connect to 3 thinkers.

https://www.mindmup.com/#m:a1edadcc50564f01334ab15f4cbefeddbc

Screen Shot 2015-10-16 at 12.30.50 PM

(my mindmup: click on image to make it larger)