The State of Digital Learning in a state with limited Digital connection at the moment

I am late
I am late for an important blog date………We — -my family that is….took a few days to enjoy the sand and surf with our daughter who was on Fall break from college– the trip had been planned in advance of Hurricane Matthew’s tour de force of destruction in Myrtle Beach……. so while we have enjoyed some beautiful time at the beach and away from it all there have been a few moments of truly being unplugged from the digital world and while my blog is late. because of a few circumstances beyond my control……. It may have been worth it to just get to walk away from the rat race for a few days…… especially a few days before the craziness of Homecoming Week at PHS.

It appears from the reading that there is wide disparity among the states in terms of what is offered to students according to states, how much is offered and the quantity of what is offered.  As a government teacher, I found it sad but typical that legislatures have spend a lot of time talking and writing proposed legislation and almost none in passing any effective digital legislation.  I would love to know why Florida is such a powerhouse in online education and how the south seems to have a well established position in this arena also.   One of the biggest concerns we face in our county and I am curious how it plays out elsewhere is how do you deal with areas where the digital world is “data deficient”  meaning they have little to no or limited capacity to get a good internet connection.

As in all professional development, I think the field of digital learning could benefit from more content specific information/ideas for teachers who are new to the field.   I wonder if online learning will help level the playing field or be another place that feeds the rich get richer and the poor get poorer side of our society.  We have districts that embraced one to one initiatives while our district is still struggling to do so and has not invested in new curriculum materials for years in lieu of a promise for the holy grail of delivering a one to one classroom “soon” ………

I guess my greatest question would be when social media and many platforms operate so seamlessly and effortlessly why do we still continue to use and have academic/educational software that is so poorly designed and antiquated even at the time we receive it …..

I looked at the blog article of teacher expectations/preparedness and the need for some badges/portfolios–evidence of training for teachers—- which I think has some merit but I wonder if this will go down the pipeline of training that so much of our professional development does….. the Highway to Hell……… It amazes me that while teachers are naturally curious learners and often demonstrate a desire to improve students classroom experiences, we are forced into cookie cutter PD experiences that don’t often fit our classroom needs.

1. I thought the same thing about Florida. I wonder what has pushed them to take the lead in online learning. ESL issues perhaps?? As for the “Highway to Hell” PD you could not have said it better. We cannot personalize education for students and not personalize PD for instructors.

2. Kelyn Captain Kelyn Captain

I had the same question about Florida-someone else had mentioned that maybe it’s because of their great weather and abundance of outdoor activities that people choose less traditional paths for education. I thought of the ESL issues as well. And also, because of the huge tourism business over the whole state that it’s harder for people to keep to traditional education schedules so they opt for the more flexible digital learning environment.