TPACK 2 Revisions

Developing a Personal Leadership Statement

Lesson Description:

In this lesson students will assess through the use of an online Leadership Style Assessment, what type of leadership styles they most identify with.  Upon completion of that, they will read about the six different leadership styles and from that will produce a personal analysis statement about their own leadership style.

1. The main Content (C) of this lesson is leadership styles and a self analysis statement of their leadership style.
  2. The main Pedagogy (P) of this lesson is asynchronous and relies on analysis and personal reflection and response while relying on online analytical resources that are individualized for each responder.
  3. The main Technology (T) of this lesson is an online LMS (Schoology) which will host the outline of the lesson while linking the students to the online Leadership Assessment site.

Pedagogical Content Knowledge (PCK)

Describe: This lesson challenges students to respond personally to 30 questions around leadership situations. From the 5 possible responses across the 30 questions, the software tool is able to generate an individualized measure of where the student falls in each of the 6 leadership styles.  This hook leads them then into an explanation of the styles. The lesson is personalized and while it delivers content it is very specific to each student.

Support: I personally took the test to see how user friendly, accessible and content driven it would be.

TPACK 2- I believe I would add an ice-breaker in this lesson that presents the six leadership styles as just terms and ask the students to in a discussion board say which one they think they are and which words they would associate with each type—or if they can think of a leader that comes to mind-
Advocate

Ambassador
People Mover

Truth-Seeker
Creative builder

Experienced guide

Technological Pedagogical Knowledge (TPK)

Describe: Students once they have accessed and completed the online individual leadership analysis, will be introduced to the 6  leadership style types presented by Robert M. Galford and Regina F. Maruca on the Leadership Legacy website.

Support: I worked through the analysis and generated an individual report which detailed not only my results but a full description of each of the leadership style types.

Technological Pedagogical Knowledge (TCK)

Describe: The technology of the assessment very quickly allows the student to gather information about their own individual leadership style and then at their own pace, they can read about, analyze and digest the 6 different leadership styles.  The use of number scales for each style I think helps the students think more deeply and creates a curiosity about each style.

Support: The fact that each student gets a unique response, online and in a very quick fashion means that this piece of the lesson reflects Best Practices 7, 8, 9 and 10 of the Best Practices for Teaching Online as created by J. V. Boettcher in his work, Ten Best Practices for Teaching Online. (Boettcher, 2013)

TPACK 2 Revision—I would likely have the student set up their e-portfolio and save their results of the test so that they could refer to as they begin to develop their own concept map of personal leadership.

Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge (TPACK)

Describe: I really liked that this lesson started first with a quick 30 question self analysis for each student. I believe this naturally hooks them and because they are having to think deeply about their own responses to 30 different situations, they are likely to be interested in the output.  Beyond the fact that the analysis tells them something about their own leadership, it details what all 6 of the forms of leadership look like. Each person has a rating for each of the styles and this draws them to read specifically about each own and reflect on how it fits their own awareness of their personal leadership.

Support: I have not done this lesson with my students yet.

TPACK 2 Revision—I would likely have the kids do a quick assessment after they have taken the test and read the information on the six styles to insure that they understand the terms of leadership and likely to an analysis discussion board where they share their results and/or their revised understanding of the definitions/terms.