My over-arching module will focus on “making” . More specifically, my module will focus on making musical instruments, which will include general woodworking and hand tool use, music theory, and basic electronics skills. I envision this as a module with general tips on incorporating making into formal or informal curricula, as well as a practical guide for making a “Diddly Bow” one string slide guitar.  My focus audience will be educator/facilitators but, really, I suppose it could be used by anyone to make a Diddly Bow.

I think the common misconception about maker education is that it is all tech based and requires a background in computers, coding, 3D design, etc. . . In reality, making can be completely analog.  Making things with wood and learning how to use a drill, prototyping with cardboard, or drawing schematics that will never be built are all a valuable part of the learning process.  And it’s this misconception that one must be tech savvy that keeps many from exploring the topic or taking risks with projects that require new tech or new skills.  I think this is a product of a formal system that doesn’t allow much time for personal exploration, productive failure, and iteration; for facilitators/teachers and students alike.  Conversely, some learners struggle with the open-ended nature of a maker space and the fact that making mistakes is a natural part of the process of making. It is far from the rote memorization or teacher centric model of many formal education institutions and involves constant trial and error and discourse with the greater making community.  This difference can be daunting, at least initially. Confidence in one’s abilities to tinker, troubleshoot, and think of creative solutions is a skill that has to built just like any other.  Making helps build that confidence that is often ( but not always) lacking.