‘Intelligence is in the head, not in the age’

Journalists received certificates after completing the training program.

A friend told me that this is a proverb from Azerbaijan. I think it applies to the role of data in today’s world. The digital revolution gives us access to vast amounts of knowledge — knowledge that, in the past, would have taken many years of experience to acquire.

Whether you are a government official or a journalist or an everyday citizen, it’s critical to understand the importance of data. Reliable statistics can help shape government policy, provide the foundation for enlightening news stories and empower citizens to make good decisions.

I am honored to come to Baku to share my thoughts about data. After my visit, if you have questions or would like more information, please contact me. My email address is jcsouth@vcu.edu.

I wish to thank the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Embassy in Baku for inviting me to be part of the U.S. Speaker Program. I also wish to thank the Baku IdeaLab, Baku State University and the Baku American Center for hosting my presentations.

I am looking forward to meeting with Azerbaijani journalists, journalism students, government officials, citizens and members of the Government-Civil Society Dialogue Platform for Open Government Partnership. The open data movement offers all of us exciting possibilities.

Working in teams, Azerbaijani journalists produced data-driven stories on a range of subjects.