(Specht) Food Waste Fighter: An Interview with Jonathan Bloom

Citation: Specht, Jonathan. “Food Waste Fighter: An Interview with Jonathan Bloom.” Food Tank RSS. N.p., 5 June 2013. Web. 28 Feb. 2016.

History of the search: I realized that I did not have a personal account for my paper so I Googled “Interview” and “Food waste.” FoodTanks’s interview was the first to pop up. I glanced over it and decided that it was a great source, however I didn’t just want to look at the first article that popped up. I skimmed through several more and then decided that the Foodtank article was for me.

Identification: This source is a substantive non-scholarly personal account. Foodtank, the website that the article was published, is a trustworthy, non-profit organization. Foodtank is focused on building a global community for safe, healthy, nourished eaters. This article in particular is centered around an interview with Jonathan Bloom, who has been researching and writing about food waste since 2005.

Summary: Foodtank targets “the seven billion people who have to eat every day,” that being said it is unlikely that all of the people on Earth have read this online article. This article is not just for the daily readers of Foodtank and people interested in food waste, but it really is for everyone because this issue is so important. “Food Watse Fighter: An Interview with Jonathan Bloom,” written by Jonathn Specht, is a great article that argues why food waste is important and focuses on how to prevent it. Bloom supports his main claim with evidence that he has personally found to be true.

Jonathan Bloom has been researching and writing about food waste since 2005, when he got his start as a volunteer at DC Kitchens, a Washington, DC-based organization working to reclaim surplus food to redistribute to people in need. Bloom is the author ofAmerican Wasteland: How America Throws Away Nearly Half of Its Food (and What We Can Do About It). Food Tank had the opportunity to speak with Bloom about his work to prevent food waste, the great problems that it poses to the environment, and what consumers everywhere can do to eliminate waste.

The interview is fairly straightforward. Foodtanks asks Bloom questions about his personal experiences with food waste and basic questions about food waste, however, Bloom’s answers are what made the interview interesting. For example, when Food tank asks how America compares to other industrialized countries in terms of food waste Bloom doesn’t just answer with a simple statistic. Instead he goes into the ethic of why America is why it is, why it is a “throwaway society,” and why it is the largest contributor. Foodtank also asks about food waste from restaurants, stores and households, and also food waste on a global level, which are all key issues that I will be covering in my essay. Bloom finishes off the interview by offering interesting and creative ways to help reduce food waste on a more personal level.

Response: This article had a lot of great things about it. Bloom spoke very passionately about food waste and his work with DC Kitchens gave him credibility and experience.

This article had new and old information, which is okay; every time I hear the same facts and information I know that it must be really important. However in this interview he gave some really cool new ideas on how to reduce food waste: the “tray-less” campaign and organic matter trashcans. I also think that I am going to write something about his “throwaway society” comment. I wanted to write about that at first but I couldn’t find any sources that used that term. In addition to us being a throwaway society he adds, “Most of us don’t think we waste any food, because it disappears quickly—into the trash or down the disposal—but we Americans don’t use 25 percent of the perishables we bring home.” I will use this in my “National” paragraph.

This article was short and easy to read. The passion that Bloom speaks with made me really engage in the interview. This source was a perfect personal account.