(UNEP) Food Waste: The Facts

Citation: UNEP. “Food Waste: The Facts.” World Food Day. United States Committee for FAO, 16 Oct. 2015. Web. 28 Feb. 2016.

History of the search: I Googled “food waste” just so I could I could find a basic overview. I will be using this as my overview. It is short and to the point without any fluff to distract from the real issue.

Identification: This is a credible non-scholarly source. This article was published by the United Nations Environmental Programme. The UNEP is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. This is a credible publication. This article will be my overview source.

Summary: “Food Waste: The Facts,” written by the United Nations Environment Programme (or UNEP), is a short, easy to read overview source. The audience of this article is one of the biggest ones because this website is on a national level; it effects and appeals to people of all ages and interests. The articles main claim, that food waste is a bigger problem than we think, is supported by facts specific to America and the rest of the world.

The article is split up into three sections: an overview on food waste, worldwide facts and North America facts, and what consumers can do change the situation.

Paragraph one challenges the readers common thought by asking: “if we have leftover food scraps that are unfit for eating, shouldn’t they be thrown into the garbage?” It then goes on to explain that our routine practice make it hard for consumers to conceptualize the enormousness of global food waste. From here the article take the individuals perspective to a much larger look. The article states, “About one-third of all food produced worldwide, worth around US$1 trillion, gets lost or wasted in food production and consumption systems.” This is absolutely insane for a world with so much global hunger.

The next paragraph gives the cold hard facts; they are slit up by a chart into two categories, worldwide and North America. Worldwide: “Every year, consumers in industrialized countries waste almost as much food as the entire net food production of sub-Saharan Africa (222 million vs. 230 million tons). The amount of food lost and wasted every year is equal to more than half of the world’s annual cereals crops (2.3 billion tons in 2009/10). ” In America: “organic waste is the second highest component of landfills, which are the largest source of methane emissions.” I have read this statistic in many other sources so I know that that is important.

Finally, in the last paragraph, the article gives the readers examples of how consumers can help reduce food waste. The consumer should “think” (about what they are buying), “eat” (become a more mindful eater) and “save” (Save your food, your money and the environment).

Response: I think that this is a helpful overview source. It addresses the consumer, the country as a whole and the world, which are my three main topics.

The only new information that I have learned from this source is when they break down the statistics of how much is wasted into calories. I thought that this was a really creative way to introduce the data and put it into terms that more people could understand. As of the rest of the information, I feel like I have read it all before. As I read more and more articles about the same thing I run into the same information. This is not necessarily the articles fault nor is it necessarily a bad thing. When I see repeated facts and information I know that the data is important and needs to be stressed in my paper. I also know that this is an overview source so the content is genuinely going to be more simplified and basic, which is a good thing.

I did not like how this website was set up. Because this sourced was published on a national website I expected the links embedded in the text to work, but when I clicked on them there was an error. In the second paragraph, under worldwide and American facts, there are links they say “more facts;” the link doesn’t work and now I am stuck with only two or three facts for each of them.