Partial Draft Assignment

As of Now I have not found a different place to hold my final assignment so this will have to do for now.

Since the early Nineteen-Ninties there has been an explosion in the use of computer generated graphics in films, television and other media. Prior to this period of time they were either prohibitively expensive or non sufficiently advanced to warrant use to create an effect. But since then due to shrinking costs and rapidly improving quality they became more and more common. And by nature of CGI becoming more prominent other forms of effects such as stunts, make-up, and other forms of visual effects have receded in popularity. Other forms of effects peaked in the 1980’s due to them having reached their most advanced point without being over shadowed by CGI

The issue with a significant amount of research is that it ignores what is lost when you replace an older technology in its totality with a newer one. It also in general focus far too much on where CGI has succeeded in creating visuals and not enough on where it has failed. This is important because its hard to really argue  against something when its only achievements that are ever acknowledged are its triumphs and its failures are ignored.  Most of the research is also fairly shallow, with no real focus on any one source; I intend to have a large focus on singular films as examples instead of cherry picking scenes from dozens of movies. Why? simple, a more in-depth look is really needed to understand why some things fail and others succeed.

This is what I claim, what I stand with, what I am telling you is true. CGI has become overused, for a variety of reasons, but still overused to the point of ridiculousness. Some research says its more popular now because its cheaper, which is generally not true. It’s also been said that  because that’s what audience demand, the real reason though is it has just become the paradigm because of rapid advances leading to a fad diminishing, which is not to say its all bad because it’s not. And finally I say that both CGI and other forms of Visual effects are used to their full potentially only when they are used in a complementary fashion to each others; instead of on their own.

The increasing reliance on CGI as the sole generator of effects is not a good thing, and there is many, many reasons why. To start with it is frequently used in a fashion to create something that could have been much easier done in the real world, such as a wound being covered in blood, or a car crashing into a cinder-block wall. Frankly it is also frequently a much more costly substitute for these effects costing much more to create what would of cheaply been done with other forms of effects

While costs and ease of creation are obviously important there are more important reasons why using CGI as the default tool for visual effects is not always the right choice. CGI  has issues with portraying an event in a realistic way that  stem from it not being a physical thing that other forms of effects do not suffer from, and by using it the way it has been this feeling was lost. Another great reason the over use of CGI is harmful to Media is because of this; it ages poorly; What was once cutting edge and realistic looks fake within a few years after a much more advanced visual has been created, essentially dating what ever it was to a moment in time and aging it the day it’s created.

4 thoughts on “Partial Draft Assignment”

1. It’s also been said that because that’s what audience demand, the real reason though is it has just become the paradigm because of rapid advances leading to a fad diminishing, which is not to say its all bad because it’s not. ?

CGI has issues with portraying an event in a realistic way that stem from it not being a physical thing that other forms of effects do not suffer from, and by using it the way it has been this feeling was lost. CGI is less realistic than x

a wound being covered in blood, or a car crashing into a cinder-block wall. Frankly it is also frequently a much more costly substitute for these effects — Is it more expensive to use CGI (a computer generates the image of a car crashing) than actually crash a new car (cost of car)?

2. You have raised a lot of questions about CGI that I had not previously considered. The poor aging of CGI is actually one of my pet peeves, it will take away from the plot of the movie until I adjust to the visuals.

3. Some general editing to make your sentence clear will help.

Your sentence: Prior to this period of time they were either prohibitively expensive or non sufficiently advanced to warrant use to create an effect. Revised: Prior to the early 1990’s, computer generated graphics (CGI) were either prohibitively expensive or not advanced enough to create realistic effects.

there is many, many reasons : should be “there are many reasons”

“to warrant use to create an effect” : isn’t clear. Or maybe you just want to say they were too expensive to warrant their use when the same effect could be created more cheaply?

“The issue with a significant amount of research” : Unfortunately, researchers who have studied CGI often ignore… Be careful to “call out” the researchers with words that pinpoint their failings, but using language that is cautious about sounding too righteous or “better than” the scholars you are taking issue with. When you say they “often ignore” you leave room for the few who may not ignore this. Does this make sense?

Along the same lines, when you write ” Most of the research is also fairly shallow” what do you mean? Maybe “shallow” isn’t the right word here. I get that you are saying that they don’t provide enough analysis of specific scenes, maybe? Or the research focuses on theories moreso than any in-depth analysis of movies themselves. This is more specific and less broadly critical than the word “shallow.”

I love your voice in this line: This is what I claim, what I stand with, what I am telling you is true. Then you go on to state your claim.

You list all of your reasons in two paragraphs, but I would save these. Mention the first reason and then develop it fully with evidence. Then move on to the next reason, and develop it. This way we will want to continue reading to find out the different reasons in support of your argument. (If you list them all at the beginning — well, you give away all your good stuff!).

I’m so sorry we couldn’t get our Hangout to work Ben. I hope my comments here have helped. I will send you some instructions about hangout so we can talk again. I’m also open to talking via facetime (if you have an iphone) or skype (since hangout didn’t work for us) — if you have experience with either and feel more comfortable trying them. Let me know!

4. I don’t know much about CGI but it seems like you have a pretty solid grip on the subject. You gave a lot of reasons to support your argument I just think you need to put it together with some more evidence. Good work so far, keep it up!