The VCU School of Pharmacy is pleased to announce the creation of a pilot undergraduate research internship program for summer 2018. The major objectives of this program are: 1) to increase the pool of exceptional individuals seeking to pursue careers in the pharmaceutical sciences or biomedical sciences; and 2) to expose undergraduate students to pharmaceutical research. All interns participate in a ten-week summer research program under the supervision of a diverse multidisciplinary group of our outstanding scientific scholars. Our faculty’s areas of expertise include population research, clinical research, and basic research (see following page). This internship program includes a strong educational component to expose interns to the depth and breadth of research and career opportunities available in the pharmaceutical sciences. Each intern is assigned to a graduate faculty member who will serve as a mentor for the duration of the program. The mentors are available to advise the interns throughout college and after graduation.
- Eligibility: undergraduate students completing sophomore or junior year preferred (seniors will be considered); interested in pharmaceutical or biomedical research; minimum GPA (3.0; >3.5 preferred) · Program details: June 4 to August 10 (i.e.,10 weeks, with 1 week of vacation that may not be the 1st or final week), 40 hours per week
- Research areas: see following page
- Stipend: $3,000 plus $1,000 for the mentor to cover the cost of supplies · Educational component: Weekly presentations or research demonstrations by graduate faculty and graduate students; a final report and presentation from each intern
- Application Deadline: March 2, 2018
- How to apply: Submit copy of transcripts, resume/CV, and 1-2 page personal statement (describing your interest in pharmaceutical or biomedical research, any past research experiences, career aspirations, etc.) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Request two academic letters of reference to be sent directly to email@example.com.
- Questions: Please send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Summer interns will conduct research under the guidance of graduate faculty in the following areas:
1) Department of Medicinal Chemistry (https://pharmacy.vcu.edu/medchem/) Allosteric drug interactions Anti-cancer and anti-HIV drug development Anticoagulants and enzyme mechanism Behavioral effects of drugs Bioinformatics Centrally-active drugs Chemical biology Drug discovery Drugs of abuse Molecular modeling and drug design Natural product synthesis Next generation antibiotics QSAR technology development RNA-drug interactions Structural biology X-ray crystallography
2) Department of Pharmaceutics (https://pharmacy.vcu.edu/pharmaceutics/) Aerosol drug delivery Biopharmaceutical analysis Drug Transporters Nanomedicine Ocular drug delivery Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics Proteomics
3) Department of Pharmacotherapy and Outcome Science (https://pharmacy.vcu.edu/dpos/) Health economics and outcomes research Social and administrative constructs of pharmacy practice Pharmacoepidemiology of antimicrobial usage Cardiology (heart failure, inflammation, drug development) Thrombosis and haemostasis (hemophilia, coagulopathy, drug development) Women’s health / endocrinology Personalized medicine (genomics, proteomics, metabolomics, lipidomics) Neurocritical care (TBI, stroke) Geriatric Pharmacotherapy HIV clinical pharmacology Clinical trials Scholarship of teaching and learning Pharmacy practice innovation