Summer job opportunity in New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Job Title: Lead Camp Instructor
Salary Range: $10/hour, 40 hours/week (Monday–Friday 8:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.)
Status: Seasonal Employment – Full Time Non-Exempt
Closing Date: February 28, 2017
To deliver the Marine Science Summer Camp Program to children ages 4-9 or 8-16. The Lead Camp Instructor will utilize the classroom, kayaks, a boat and the outdoor environment to teach a hands-on, feet-wet summer camp curriculum. The Lead Camp Instructor must demonstrate the ability to interact professionally and exercise careful oversight of all campers, volunteers, parents, and to work with MDC staff, MDC Board and the general public. This position requires excellent independent work skills and the ability to multi-task.
POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES & TASKS
Teaching and Program Activities:
Under supervision of the Education Staff the Lead Camp Instructor will:
- Ensure that health, happiness and safety are top priorities at all times.
- Lead activities, games, arts and crafts, and songs.
- Provide an understanding of marine topics.
- Oversee all campers.
- Set up and breakdown all activities.
- Keep inventory of supplies up to date.
- Plan and implement educational and recreational activities.
- Meet and greet parents/guardians and participants on check-in and check-out each day.
- Be prepared to get wet and muddy in the field.
- Clean and maintain grounds and facilities as needed.
- All other duties as assigned by the Education Coordinator.
B.A. or B.S. in Environmental Science, Biology, or other science-related degree preferred. A background in K-12 education in either a classroom or an informal environmental education setting is desirable. Computer literate in Microsoft Office.
Teacher certification preferred. CPR and First Aid certification required. A pre-requisite to employment will be a criminal background check per the Volusia County School Board Jessica Lunsford Act.
The successful candidate will have excellent writing and communication skills, a positive attitude, enjoyment of the outdoors, and an ability to communicate environmental education principles to children. This individual must also have sufficient mobility and strength to move about the facility, on and off boats, assist children and to move educational equipment (lift at least 50 pounds). The individual must also be able to work in adverse conditions that include rain, heat, insects, etc.
You must submit the following documents to be considered for the position:
1) Cover Letter
3) References (minimum of three)
All documents must be submitted to Erica Edmonston, Education and Restoration Specialist at the Marine Discovery Center at email@example.com. Application closing date will be at 5 p.m., on February 28, 2017.
520 Barracuda Blvd. New Smyrna Beach, FL 32169
Phone 386-428-4828 Fax 386-428-4825