The Hatteras Island Ocean Center is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization searching for interns for the summer of 2017. The Ocean Center runs programs geared towards children and adults that are focused on ecotourism and environmental education. Interns at the Ocean Center will be actively involved with all tasks related to daily operations for the Center. Interns will also help forward the Center’s mission of revitalizing the local economy of Hatteras Village.
Interns should be prepared to work in a fast-paced team environment, and will finish the internship having gained broad experience in various aspects of running a nonprofit. We are currently looking for interns with backgrounds in:
● Biological Sciences
● Earth Sciences
● Environmental Science/Studies
● Parks, Recreation, and Tourism Management
Tasks and Responsibilities
● 50% – Run educational programs for children and adults
● 30% – Assist with the daily operations of the Center (greet visitors, give tours of the facilities, and running the cash register at the gift shop, etc….)
● 20% Help maintain the building and property (lawn work, cleaning, equipment and general maintenance).
● Have a passion for ecotourism and environmental education
● Must be outgoing and able to encourage conversations with visitors of all ages
● Excellent oral and written communication
● Student in their Junior year of college or higher preferred
● Current valid CPR/First Aid Certification (or higher) preferred
● GPA of 3.0 or higher
● Able to work several hours outside in summer heat
● Must be comfortable working in and around water and on watercrafts
● Free housing (shared living space) is provided
● Interns are responsible for their own living and travel expenses outside of housing arrangement
● Jobs in village outside of working hours are permitted so long as they do not conflict with internship
● Internship dates are from May 22nd – August is 11th.
● Internship is 12-weeks long
Interns will have the opportunity to volunteer with the National Park Service (NPS) on their Turtle Patrol and Nest Sitting initiatives.
On Turtle Patrol interns will accompany a Park Ranger or seasonal NPS staff member on an off-road vehicle to search for nesting sea turtle tracks, excavate nests, and perform necessary protocols associated with identification and marking of new sea turtle nests on the Cape Hatteras National Seashore.
During nest sitting interns will be able to educate and interact with the general public and ensure the safety of new sea turtle hatchlings at nest sites close to their hatching date. Interns will be responsible for raking out a path from the nest to the ocean, preventing visitors or animals from trampling the nest site or “turtle runway,” answering questions, and helping hatchlings to the ocean if problems arise.
How to Apply
If interested in this internship, please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will contact you within a day or two and let you know that we received your information.
Application deadline is March 15, 2017.