2018 Fall Undergraduate Research Meeting
Saturday, November 3, 2018
9 am – ~5 pm
Deadline for electronic submission of 2018 Undergraduate Research Grant Applications is October 1, 2018.
The VAS Fall Undergraduate Research Meeting is a research grant proposal competition, which has been held annually since the Fall of 2001. In order to participate in this meeting, undergraduate students, in conjunction with their faculty mentors, are required to:
(1) Prepare and submit an Undergraduate Research Grant Application by the October 1 deadline.
(2) Develop posters outlining the proposed research (following the criteria of the Fall Meeting Poster Guidelines) and present their posters at the Fall Undergraduate Research Meeting on November 3.
NOTE: Both the Research Grant Applications and the Poster Presentations will be evaluated to determine the recipients of the research grants.
Nine Undergraduate Research Grant Awards of $750 each will be awarded to selected recipients at the end of this meeting. The grant award recipients will also be awarded student membership in the Virginia Academy of Science for 2019 and will be expected to present the results of their research at the 2019 VAS Annual Meeting in May at Old Dominion University.
Please note that it is the intention of VAS to distribute the Undergraduate Research Grant Awards by institution, discipline, and faculty mentors.
Meeting Participation Procedures
- Each grant application must include one or more undergraduate students and one or more faculty mentors.
- Student applicants must be undergraduates enrolled in 2- or 4-year colleges or universities in Virginia.
Student applicants do not need to be members of the Virginia Academy of Science.
o Faculty mentors must be faculty members affiliated with 2- or 4-year colleges or universities in Virginia.
Faculty mentors must be members in good standing (i.e., paid dues for 2018) of the Virginia Academy of Science by the October 1 grant application submission deadline. Current VAS membership status can be confirmed by contacting the VAS Associate Executive Officer at email@example.com.
If needed, the VAS Individual Membership Form is available on the VAS website via the link below.
- The Undergraduate Research Grant Application should be downloaded from the VAS website and completed by the student applicant(s) in consultation with their faculty mentor(s).
The major component of the application is the Project Description whichmust be limited to no more than 3 single-spaced pages of text (10-12 point font) and must include all components listed below.
o Project Summary (25-50 words) for inclusion in the Fall Meeting Program and possibly in Virginia Scientists and/or Virginia Journal of Science
o Clear statement of Purpose or Objectives of research
o Rationale of proposed approach
o Clearly stated Research Plan with procedure(s) described in enough detail to allow assessment of research plan
A limited number of graphs, tables, and/or illustrations may be included if essential; these will not count in the 3 page limit.
o Clear description of the Significance of the research to your specialty
o Relevant Literature (3 to 5 key references only)
NOTE: The Undergraduate Research Application for 2018 is now available on the VAS website (via Meetings > Fall Undergraduate Research Meeting > Fall Undergraduate Research Grant Application).
- Completed Undergraduate Research Grant Application must be emailed to Gary Isaacs(firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The completed application (in MS Word docx or doc format) must be attached to a single email message
- The following information must be included in the email subject line: Last Name(s) of Student Applicant(s) – VAS UG Research Grant Application
The deadline for student applicants to submit the grant application is Monday, October 1, 2018 (by midnight).
- Student applicants must register for and attend the 2018 VAS Fall Undergraduate Research Meeting on Saturday November 3, 2018 at Ferrum College and present posters outlining their proposed research projects(following the criteria of the Fall Meeting Poster Guidelines).
If needed, driving directions to Ferrum College are available on the Ferrum College website via the link below.
- Faculty mentors are strongly encouraged to accompany their students to the 2018 VAS Fall Undergraduate Research Meeting on Saturday November 3, 2018 at Ferrum College.
If needed, driving directions to Ferrum College are available on the Ferrum College website via the link above.
- ALL 2018 Fall Undergraduate Research Meeting attendees(i.e., student applicants, faculty mentors, judges, guests) must register for the meeting ($15 registration fee).
NOTE: Registration information will be available on the VAS website at a later date.
The deadline for registering for the 2018 VAS Fall Undergraduate Research Meeting is Friday October 12, 2018.