Students apply to graduate at the beginning of the semester that they will be completing all degree requirements (including all required courses).
Fall 2017 Graduation Applications are submitted electronically. Students must complete the eservices intent to graduate by Friday, September 8, 2017. Please read the following instructions carefully if you are expecting to graduate in December 2017.
The following steps must be completed in order for your graduation application to be filed:
1) Complete the “Intent to Graduate” Survey through eServices by September 8, 2017
1. Go to e-Services: http://www.vcu.edu/
2. Login to MyVCU
3. Select the e-Services Tab
4. Click the e-Services Button
5. Select the Student Tab
6. Select Student Records
7. Select Apply to Graduate (this will start the checkout procedure)
Please note that initiating the e-Services graduation checkout will prohibit future registration. If you are still making changes to your schedule, do not yet complete this survey. If you initiate the e-Services graduation checkout procedure by mistake (i.e. by clicking on the Survey Complete button) or too early in your academic career, please contact the Graduation Office (828-1917) immediately so that the action can be rescinded and the registration restriction removed.
2) Complete the Department of Biology Undergraduate Exit Survey and Graduation Checkout by September 8. 2017 (you will also need to access your Degreeworks audit):
- Complete the survey at the below link (you will need to copy and paste into browser). Upon completion of the survey you will automatically be rerouted to the Graduation Checkout Google form.
Students who will be completing all degree requirements during the Fall 2017 semester and are ready to graduate must complete this process (including students who have previously applied to graduate but did not successfully complete requirements).
When completing the Graduation Checkout Google form:
• For minor(s): Check your degree audit to make sure you minor(s) is listed correctly, if applicable. If a minor needs to be added or removed, please complete a change of minor form at this link:
We will not be able to submit your graduation application until your minor is correctly listed.
• For foreign language: Check your degree audit to make sure your foreign language is fulfilled. If you still need to complete a foreign language waiver process, please complete ASAP. We will not be able to submit your graduation application until your foreign language waiver is processed.
• Check your degree audit to make sure all degree requirements are completed or in progress and check your credits. Everything on degreeworks should either show as completed or in progress.
o Biology major area- you should have a minimum of 40 credits of biology and all course requirements should be completed or in progress. Check to make sure duplicate credits are not counting here.
o Upper-level area- you should have a minimum of 45 credits of upper-level. Check to make sure duplicate credits are not counting here.
o Total credits- you should have a minimum of 120 total credits. Check to make sure duplicate credits are not counting here.
o GPA- your cumulative and major GPA must be a 2.0 or higher at the time of graduation.
• Please complete all pages including information about to be completed courses (if applicable) and graduation ceremony information
If anything looks strange/wrong on your degree audit (course missing, course not slotting where you think it should, etc.) please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP to resolve the issue. It is important that your degree audit accurately reflects completion of degree requirements (all boxes should be green with a check mark or blue with a single squiggly line to indicate it is in progress). If you are unsure of duplicate credits, please check with a biology advisor. Every semester we have students who cannot graduate due to duplicate credits; it is better to be safe than sorry.
Your responses will be submitted to the Department of Biology advising office and will be reviewed by an advisor. The advisor will then electronically submit your application if it is approved. Completion of the VCU Intent to Graduate and Department of Biology Graduation Checkout does not automatically mean a student has been approved for graduation. You will receive an e-mail from the advising office to update you on the status of your application. This could take several weeks. The advisor will not be able to submit your application unless your major, minor and foreign language are correctly recorded on your degree audit. Fix these issues as soon as possible if they exist.
Additional documents and information needed to complete the process can be found on the Biology Undergraduate Advising Blackboard Page in the “Graduation” tab. Please read the Graduation Application instructions carefully as they will describe in detail how to complete each step. If you are a biology major and you do not have access to this blackboard page, e-mail email@example.com.