Influential Words

We asked our graduates for quotes that were important to them. These quotes come from books/poems, songs, and movies/tv shows.

Enjoy!

Spring 2018 Graduate Submissions

“Nothing is impossible, the word itself says ‘I’m possible’!” – Audrey Hepburn

“Life’s too short not to go big. Gotta go big.” – Josh Bender, New World Disorder

“My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.” – Maya Angelou

“The future doesn’t belong to the faint-hearted. It belongs to the brave.” – Ronald Reagan

“No matter what he does, every person on earth plays a central role in the history of the world. And normally he doesn’t know it.” – The Alchemist; The Alchemist, Paulo Coelho

“I hope you never lose your sense of wonder You get your fill to eat but always keep that hunger May you never take one single breath for granted God forbid love ever leave you empty handed I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean Whenever one door closes, I hope one more opens Promise me that you’ll give faith a fighting chance. And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.”
-Lee Ann Womack, “I Hope You Dance”

“For a dreamer, night’s the only time of day.” – The Weeknd

“Keep your nose out the sky, keep your heart to god, and keep your face to the raising sun.” – Kanye West

“Would you believe in what you believe in if you were the only one who believed it.” – Kanye West

“Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

Fall 2017 Graduate Submissions

Books/Poems

“Although many of us may think of ourselves as thinking creatures that feel, biologically we are feeling creatures that think.” – My Stroke of Insight, Dr. Jill Bolte Taylor

“Life isn’t about fitting in, It’s about finding people who move over.” – Scooch; Adultolescence, Gabbie Hanna

“Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again.” – Rebecca, Daphne du Maurier

“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.” – Tyrion Lannister; A Song Of Fire And Ice (Game of Thrones), George R.R. Martin

“Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding. For the merchandise of it is better than the merchandise of silver, and the gain thereof than fine gold. She is more precious than rubies: and all the things thou canst desire are not to be compared unto her. Length of days is in her right hand; and in her left hand riches and honour.” – Proverbs 3, King Solomon

“Don’t ask for guarantees. And don’t look to be saved in any one thing, person, machine, or library. Do your own bit of saving, and if you drown, at least die knowing you were heading for shore.” – Professor Faber; Faranheit 451, Ray Bradbury

“I appreciate you, I miss you and above all, I love you.” – To Gloria, Nana Owusuaa

“Verily with every hardship comes ease” – Quran

Songs

“I dreamed it all ever since I was young
They said I wouldn’t be nothing
Now they always say, “Congratulations”
Worked so hard, forgot how to vacation
They ain’t never had the dedication
People hatin’, say we changed and look, we made it
Yeah, we made it”

– Post Malone, “Congratulations”

“This is not the end of me, this is the beginning”
– Christina Perri, “I Believe”

“It’s not a crime to see the light. It doesn’t mean you sleep better at night. It’s not a crime to wear a smile. So what are you so scared of?”
– Tonight Alive, ” What Are You So Scared Of”

“Upon us all, upon us all a little rain must fall.”
– Led Zepplin, “The Rain Song”

Hey, don’t write yourself off yet
It’s only in your head you feel left out or looked down on
Just try your best
Try everything you can
And don’t you worry what they tell themselves when you’re away
It just takes some time
Little girl, you’re in the middle of the ride
Everything, everything will be just fine
Everything, everything will be all right”

– Jimmy Eat World, “The Middle”

“Even in darkness
Me and my fam from the dungeon found that light
And even in darkness
Despite what was wrong, everything turned out alright
(whoooa), when it gets real cold
We got fire, and that’s music to my soul
(whoooa), when the lights get low
We burn brighter, and that’s music to my soul.”

– CeeLo Green, “Music To My Soul”

“This is the wonder of devotion
I see the torch
We all must hold”

– Led Zepplin, “The Rain Song”

“For 1000 nights
I’ve been a restless soul
Just wasting time
Digging up fool’s gold
It took a 1000 nights
Being on my own
For me to find
It was all fool’s gold”

– Frenship, “1000 Nights”

“Something has changed within me
Something is not the same
I’m through with playing by the rules
Of someone else’s game”

– Wicked, “Defying Gravity”

Movies/TV Shows

“All I got in this world are my balls and my word and I don’t break ‘em for no one. Understand?” – Tony Montana, Scarface

“It’s bad to kill. Guns kill, and you don’t have to be a gun, you are what you choose to be” – Hogarth, The Iron Giant

“I am Beyoncé, always” –  Michael Scott, The Office

“Sometimes it’s good to be scared. It means you still have something to lose.” – Richard Webber, Grey;s Anatomy

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?” – Marianne Williamson, Akeelah and the Bee

“What we do in life echoes in eternity” – Maximus Decimus Meridian, Gladiator

“We are told to remember the idea, not the man, because a man can fail. He can be caught, he can be killed and forgotten, but 400 years later, an idea can still change the world.” – Evey, V For Vendetta

“Do, or do not. There is no try.” – Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

“Believe it!” – Naruto Uzumaki, Naruto

“You don’t like my style… that’s fine…but I’m not going to change who I am. So you’re just gonna have to deal with it and respect it.” -Jess, New Girl

” It is a beautiful day to save lives.” – Derek Shepherd, Grey’s Anatomy

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.” – Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

“You can’t just give up! Is that what a dinosaur would do?” -Joey, Friends

Spring 2017 Graduate Submissions

Books/Poems

“You can’t ever reach perfection, but you can believe in an asymptote toward which you are ceaselessly striving.” – When Breath Becomes Air, Paul Kalanithi

“I am looking for someone to share in an adventure that I am arranging, and it’s very difficult to find anyone.” – Gandalf; The Hobbit, J. R. R. Tolkien

“Keep Smiling and Never Give Up”

“O Friend! In the garden of thy heart plant naught but the rose of love, and from the nightingale of affection and desire loosen not thy hold.” –The Hidden Words,  Baha’u’llah

“Taking an eye for an eye will only succeed in making the whole world blind.” – Mahatma Mohandas Gandhi; The Story of My Experiments with Truth, Mahatma Mohandas Gandhi

“Happiness [is] only real when shared.” – Jon Krakauer; Into the Wild, Jon Krakauer

“Hate no one, no matter how much they’ve wronged you. Live humbly, no matter how wealthy you become. Think positively, no matter how hard life is. Give much, even if you’ve been given little. Keep in touch with the ones who have forgotten you, and forgive who has wronged you, and do not stop praying for the best for those you love.”  – Ali ibn abi Talib

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” – Dumbledore; Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, J.K. Rowling

“In the end, it is important to remember that we cannot become what we need to be, by remaining what we are.” – Leadership Is An Art, Max DePree

“I should just listen to my gut, and then do the opposite.” – Libby Day; Dark Places, Gillian Flynn

“For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.” – Jeremiah 29:11

“To reach the place of self-forgiveness, we must embrace this truth. The gift of God’s acceptance frees us from self-blame, guilt, and shame.” – Moving Forward: Six Steps to Forgiving Yourself and Breaking Free from the Past, Everett Worthington

“Our fearlessness shall be our secret weapon.” – The Fault In Our Stars, John Green

Songs

“Baby boy you only funky as your last cut. You focus on the past your ass’ll be a has-what.” – Outkast, “Rosa Parks”

“O Son of Spirit! My first counsel is this: Possess a pure, kindly and radiant heart, that thine may be a sovereignty, ancient, imperishable and everlasting.” – Luke Slott (Baha’i), “My First Counsel”

“Every storm runs, runs out of rain. Just like every dark night turns into day. Every heartache will fade away.” – Gary Allan, “Every Storm (Runs Out of Rain)”

“We’re heading for Venus
And still we stand tall
Cause maybe they’ve seen us
And welcome us all yeah
With so many lightyears to go
And things to be found
I’m sure that we’ll all miss her so
It’s the final countdown.”
– Europe, “The Final Countdown”

“If a bird can sing with a broken wing
You’ll learn to bend when the wind blows.
The leaves may fall, but the trees stay tall.
This is a bump in the road.”
– Erik Hassle, “Bump In The Road”

“Last night took an L, but tonight I bounce back.”
– Big Sean, “Bounce Back”

“Don’t hide yourself in regret.
Just love yourself and you’re set.
I’m on the right track, baby.
I was born this way.”
– Lady Gaga, “Born This Way”

“Voy a reír, voy a bailar
pa´qué llorar, pa’ que sufrir
empieza a soñar, a reír
voy a reír, voy a bailar
siente y baila y goza
que la vida es una sola
voy a reír, voy a bailar
vive, sigue
siempre pa’lante
no mires pa’ tras
mi gente
la vida es una”
– Marc Anthony, “Vivir Mi Vida”

“Everybody wants to be cool. Yes, they do. I’m just like them, but I won’t be no full. I guess I could waste all my money and time just tryin’ to look right. But doesn’t change who I am in my heart if I look like a dime. So I want you to close your eyes, sing to the world tonight and show them was beautiful. I don’t care what they think, no I’m not listening cause I know I’m beautiful.”
– Meghan Trainor, “Close Your Eyes”

“Let’s love ourselves and we can’t fail
To make a better situation.
Tomorrow, our seeds will grow
All we need is dedication.”
– Lauryn Hill, “Everything Is Everything”

“Do it for your country, do it for your name, cause there’s gonna be a day, when you’re standing in the hall of fame and the world’s gonna know your name.”
– The Script, “Hall of Fame”

“Anything’s possible.  You have to dream like you’ve never seen obstacles.”
– J. Cole, “Autograph”

“Our lives are made
In these small hours
These little wonders
These twists and turns of fate.
Time falls away
But these small hours
These small hours still remain.”
– Rob Thomas, “Little Wonder”

Movies/TV Shows

“You’re having a big day there, Susan.” – Dr. Cox, Scrubs

“I guess its because we all want to believe that what we do is very important, that people hang on to our very word, that they care what we think. The truth is, you should consider yourself lucky if you even occasionally get to make someone-anyone-feel a little better.” – J.D., Scrubs

“Hasta la vista, baby.” – The Terminator, Terminator 2: Judgement Day

“If you keep worrying about the future, you’ll never enjoy the present.” – Doctor Archibald Hopper, Once Upon A Time

“And then, and then, and then, and then, and then…” – Drive thru operator, Dude, Where’s My Car?

“My point is, according to your diagnosis, hysteria seems to cover everything, from insomnia to toothache. It’s nothing more than a catch-all for dissatisfied women. Women, forced to spend their lives on domestic chores and their prudish and selfish husbands who are unwilling or unable to make love to them properly, or often enough.” – Charlotte Dalrymple, Hysteria

“Would you rather be feared or loved? Easy. Both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me.” – Michael Gary Scott, The Office

“If you believe in yourself, and with a tiny pinch of magic, all your dreams will come true!”- SpongeBob SquarePants, SpongeBob SquarePants

“All that matters is family.” – Dominic Toretto, Fast and the Furious

“A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.” – Willy Wonka, Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory

“Sometimes the future changes quickly and completely, and we’re left with only the choice of what to do next. We can choose to be afraid of it, to stand there trembling not moving, assuming the worst that can happen or we step forward into the unknown and assume it will be brilliant!” – Cristina Yang, Grey’s Anatomy

“Let go of the past, and keep moving forward.” – Lewis, Meet the Robinsons

Fall 2016 Graduate Submissions

Books/Poems

“Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.” – Albus Dumbledore; Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, J.K. Rowling

“I know that I’m going to be better, that I’m going to be happy. It won’t be long.” – Rachel Watson; The Girl on the Train, Paula Hawkins
“It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll, I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul. ” – “Invictus” William Ernest Henley

Songs

“You’re the star of the masquerade No need to look so afraid” – Dio, “Holy Diver”

“I look at the world and I notice it’s turning While my guitar gently weeps With every mistake we must surely be learning Still my guitar gently weeps” – The Beatles, “While My Guitar Gently Weeps”

“Well, I guess this is growing up” – Blink-182, “Dammit”

Movies/TV Shows

“Astronauts.. to the moon… HAHAHAHA” – Beldar from Coneheads

“We’re all susceptible to it. The dread and anxiety of not knowing what’s coming. It’s pointless in the end. Because all the worrying, and all the making of plans for things that could, or could not happen, it only makes things worse. So walk your dog. Or take a nap. Just, whatever you do, stop worrying. Because the only cure for paranoia, is to be… here… just as you are.” – Meredith Grey from Grey’s Anatomy

“Children don’t grow up looking at perfect parents. Rather, using their imperfect parents as anti-teachers, children nourish a spirit of independence.” – Alex Cazerne from The Legend of Galactic Heroes

“Because sometimes, even if you know how something’s going to end, that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the ride.” – Ted Mosby from How I Met Your Mother

Everything you need to know about studying a BS in Biology at VCU