Influential Words

We asked our graduates for quotes that were important to them. These quotes come from books/poems, songs, and movies/tv shows.

Enjoy!

Spring 2017 Graduate Submissions

Books/Poems

“You can’t ever reach perfection, but you can believe in an asymptote toward which you are ceaselessly striving.” – When Breath Becomes Air, Paul Kalanithi

“I am looking for someone to share in an adventure that I am arranging, and it’s very difficult to find anyone.” – Gandalf; The Hobbit, J. R. R. Tolkien

“Keep Smiling and Never Give Up”

“O Friend! In the garden of thy heart plant naught but the rose of love, and from the nightingale of affection and desire loosen not thy hold.” –The Hidden Words,  Baha’u’llah

“Taking an eye for an eye will only succeed in making the whole world blind.” – Mahatma Mohandas Gandhi; The Story of My Experiments with Truth, Mahatma Mohandas Gandhi

“Happiness [is] only real when shared.” – Jon Krakauer; Into the Wild, Jon Krakauer

“Hate no one, no matter how much they’ve wronged you. Live humbly, no matter how wealthy you become. Think positively, no matter how hard life is. Give much, even if you’ve been given little. Keep in touch with the ones who have forgotten you, and forgive who has wronged you, and do not stop praying for the best for those you love.”  – Ali ibn abi Talib

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” – Dumbledore; Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, J.K. Rowling

“In the end, it is important to remember that we cannot become what we need to be, by remaining what we are.” – Leadership Is An Art, Max DePree

“I should just listen to my gut, and then do the opposite.” – Libby Day; Dark Places, Gillian Flynn

“For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.” – Jeremiah 29:11

“To reach the place of self-forgiveness, we must embrace this truth. The gift of God’s acceptance frees us from self-blame, guilt, and shame.” – Moving Forward: Six Steps to Forgiving Yourself and Breaking Free from the Past, Everett Worthington

“Our fearlessness shall be our secret weapon.” – The Fault In Our Stars, John Green

Songs

“Baby boy you only funky as your last cut. You focus on the past your ass’ll be a has-what.” – Outkast, “Rosa Parks”

“O Son of Spirit! My first counsel is this: Possess a pure, kindly and radiant heart, that thine may be a sovereignty, ancient, imperishable and everlasting.” – Luke Slott (Baha’i), “My First Counsel”

“Every storm runs, runs out of rain. Just like every dark night turns into day. Every heartache will fade away.” – Gary Allan, “Every Storm (Runs Out of Rain)”

“We’re heading for Venus
And still we stand tall
Cause maybe they’ve seen us
And welcome us all yeah
With so many lightyears to go
And things to be found
I’m sure that we’ll all miss her so
It’s the final countdown.”
– Europe, “The Final Countdown”

“If a bird can sing with a broken wing
You’ll learn to bend when the wind blows.
The leaves may fall, but the trees stay tall.
This is a bump in the road.”
– Erik Hassle, “Bump In The Road”

“Last night took an L, but tonight I bounce back.”
– Big Sean, “Bounce Back”

“Don’t hide yourself in regret.
Just love yourself and you’re set.
I’m on the right track, baby.
I was born this way.”
– Lady Gaga, “Born This Way”

“Voy a reír, voy a bailar
pa´qué llorar, pa’ que sufrir
empieza a soñar, a reír
voy a reír, voy a bailar
siente y baila y goza
que la vida es una sola
voy a reír, voy a bailar
vive, sigue
siempre pa’lante
no mires pa’ tras
mi gente
la vida es una”
– Marc Anthony, “Vivir Mi Vida”

“Everybody wants to be cool. Yes, they do. I’m just like them, but I won’t be no full. I guess I could waste all my money and time just tryin’ to look right. But doesn’t change who I am in my heart if I look like a dime. So I want you to close your eyes, sing to the world tonight and show them was beautiful. I don’t care what they think, no I’m not listening cause I know I’m beautiful.”
– Meghan Trainor, “Close Your Eyes”

“Let’s love ourselves and we can’t fail
To make a better situation.
Tomorrow, our seeds will grow
All we need is dedication.”
– Lauryn Hill, “Everything Is Everything”

“Do it for your country, do it for your name, cause there’s gonna be a day, when you’re standing in the hall of fame and the world’s gonna know your name.”
– The Script, “Hall of Fame”

“Anything’s possible.  You have to dream like you’ve never seen obstacles.”
– J. Cole, “Autograph”

“Our lives are made
In these small hours
These little wonders
These twists and turns of fate.
Time falls away
But these small hours
These small hours still remain.”
– Rob Thomas, “Little Wonder”

Movies/TV Shows

“You’re having a big day there, Susan.” – Dr. Cox, Scrubs

“I guess its because we all want to believe that what we do is very important, that people hang on to our very word, that they care what we think. The truth is, you should consider yourself lucky if you even occasionally get to make someone-anyone-feel a little better.” – J.D., Scrubs

“Hasta la vista, baby.” – The Terminator, Terminator 2: Judgement Day

“If you keep worrying about the future, you’ll never enjoy the present.” – Doctor Archibald Hopper, Once Upon A Time

“And then, and then, and then, and then, and then…” – Drive thru operator, Dude, Where’s My Car?

“My point is, according to your diagnosis, hysteria seems to cover everything, from insomnia to toothache. It’s nothing more than a catch-all for dissatisfied women. Women, forced to spend their lives on domestic chores and their prudish and selfish husbands who are unwilling or unable to make love to them properly, or often enough.” – Charlotte Dalrymple, Hysteria

“Would you rather be feared or loved? Easy. Both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me.” – Michael Gary Scott, The Office

“If you believe in yourself, and with a tiny pinch of magic, all your dreams will come true!”- SpongeBob SquarePants, SpongeBob SquarePants

“All that matters is family.” – Dominic Toretto, Fast and the Furious

“A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.” – Willy Wonka, Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory

“Sometimes the future changes quickly and completely, and we’re left with only the choice of what to do next. We can choose to be afraid of it, to stand there trembling not moving, assuming the worst that can happen or we step forward into the unknown and assume it will be brilliant!” – Cristina Yang, Grey’s Anatomy

“Let go of the past, and keep moving forward.” – Lewis, Meet the Robinsons

Fall 2016 Graduate Submissions

Books/Poems

“Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.” – Albus Dumbledore; Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, J.K. Rowling

“I know that I’m going to be better, that I’m going to be happy. It won’t be long.” – Rachel Watson; The Girl on the Train, Paula Hawkins
“It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll, I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul. ” – “Invictus” William Ernest Henley

Songs

“You’re the star of the masquerade No need to look so afraid” – Dio, “Holy Diver”

“I look at the world and I notice it’s turning While my guitar gently weeps With every mistake we must surely be learning Still my guitar gently weeps” – The Beatles, “While My Guitar Gently Weeps”

“Well, I guess this is growing up” – Blink-182, “Dammit”

Movies/TV Shows

“Astronauts.. to the moon… HAHAHAHA” – Beldar from Coneheads

“We’re all susceptible to it. The dread and anxiety of not knowing what’s coming. It’s pointless in the end. Because all the worrying, and all the making of plans for things that could, or could not happen, it only makes things worse. So walk your dog. Or take a nap. Just, whatever you do, stop worrying. Because the only cure for paranoia, is to be… here… just as you are.” – Meredith Grey from Grey’s Anatomy

“Children don’t grow up looking at perfect parents. Rather, using their imperfect parents as anti-teachers, children nourish a spirit of independence.” – Alex Cazerne from The Legend of Galactic Heroes

“Because sometimes, even if you know how something’s going to end, that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the ride.” – Ted Mosby from How I Met Your Mother

Everything you need to know about studying a BS in Biology at VCU