Images

Education of Nutrition

The quality of education concerning nutritional information needs to be revamped in a big way. I remember when I was growing up, I took one class in health and it did not necessarily touch on nutrition, but rather it was more of a sex education class. We talked about sexually transmitted diseases and being physically active but never the foods involved in our everyday life that we eat continuously. Throughout high school, I was never taught what the nutritional value and ingredients meant on the labels of everyday foods such as milk or bread. The average young adult doesn’t know anything truly valuable about the nutritional value of the food we eat. Yes, of course everyone knows that one is not supposed to surpass a certain threshold of calories in order to stay at a healthy weight. Everyone knows this common fact, but much more goes into staying physically and mentally fit. Some foods may be in low in calories but are extremely nutrient deficient, meaning they have very little essential vitamins that a person needs to perform at peak potential. Some foods or drinks may also be in low in calories but have ingredients that one’s body was never meant to ingest so it immediately transforms these ingredients into fat, which may cause problems down the line.

It’s a shame that kids of my generation lack the certain nutritional knowledge that could potentially save their lives down the line. Until about a year ago, I would look at a food label and wonder what was I reading? What were unsaturated fats, trans fats? What were some of these ingredients that were incredibly difficult to say? I doubt that I was the only child that felt this way growing now and even currently. It’s important that we alter the culture and educate these younger kids on the effects of good nutrition and the degrading effects of bad nutrition.

kids_games_nutrition_fun

http://www.prevention.com/food/make-better-healthy-eating-choices

http://www.fns.usda.gov/get-involved/provide-nutrition-education