Topic 5: Building Molecules in a Chemical Reaction

Science

molecule is the smallest particle in a chemical element or compound that has the chemical properties of that element or compound.

Molecules are made up of atoms that are held together by chemical bonds. These bonds form as a result of the sharing or exchange of electrons among atoms.

compound is a substance formed when two or more chemical elements are chemically bonded together.

Two common types are covalent bonds and ionic bonds.

What was the point of this activity?

The point of this activity was to allow students to see a visual about how molecules are made up. Children can see how they connect to each other. We see things like H2O as a liquid to the natural eye but this allows students to see how it is really made up.

How would you introduce this to your class?

I would start by asking them to draw what they think molecules looks like and then i would then see if they have a virtual activity. I would also ask what they already know about elements.

Where do you see a student having difficulty with this?

I could see students having trouble coordinating the right color with the name. It was confusing to me and i found myself messing them up sometimes. I could also see them getting confused on where to add the elements.

What changes or extensions could you do to this activity?

I would try to find a way to make it easier to understand the colors. Or finding an online representation of molecules that goes into further detail.