Topic 5: Egg in Vinegar

Science: 

Acetic acid is an organic chemical compound. It usually known for giving vinegar its sour smell.

It is one of the simplest carboxylic acids and has the chemical formula CH3COOH.

The acetic acid reacts with the calcium carbonate in the egg shell and releases carbon dioxide gas that you see as bubbles on the shell.

A chemical reaction is a process that involves rearrangement of the molecular or ionic structure of a substance, as opposed to a change in physical form or a nuclear reaction.

What was the point of this activity?

The point of this activity was to show what happens when an egg is soaked in vinegar and why its’ shell is dissolved.

Explain how you would introduce this to your class?

I would introduce this to my class by giving them background information on acetic acid and what it does. I would ask for predictions as to what they think would happen.

Where do you see a student having difficulty with this?

I think difficulty could stem from some students may not fullyunderstand why the shell would dissolve or why the chemicals react the way they do.

What changes or extensions could you do to this activity?

I would want to put a videocam the egg so we can see it at all times and really see the process of it dissolving so students can have a  better understanding.

.