Topic 9: Electricity and Magnetism

Science 

A circuit is a path between two or more points along which an electrical current can be carried

Electricity is not the flow of electrons, instead it’s the electrons and protons themselves. When electricity flows, it is called an electric current.

Voltage is an electrical potential difference, the difference in electric potential between two places

One volt equals one joule per coulomb.

A parallel circuit is a closed circuit in which the current divides into two or more paths before recombining to complete the circuit

A series circuit is a closed circuit in which the current follows one path

What was the point of this activity?

The point of this was to help students better understand circuits and see how all the elements work together to produce light.

Explain how you would introduce this to your class?

I would talk to my class about what makes a circuit. I could have them get in a circle and discuss open and closed circuits before i started my lesson.

Where do you see a student having difficulty with this?

I think it could be hard understanding why the lights are brighter with one circuit compared to the other. Or what happens when you unscrew one of the light bulbs in a series circuit.

What changes or extensions could you do to this activity?

I would have them play circuit freeze tag where they run around and as insulators and conductors and freeze if they are an open circuit and their friends would come by and lock hands with them to close the circuit so they can keep playing.