• Do you notice any overlap from the Virginia Computer Science Standards and the goals/resources found on code.org?  Integrating the Computer Science Standards will be something you will do as a teacher, what do you think are the challenges in doing this?  Where do you see overlaps between the content specific SOLs and the Computer Science Standards?  Reflect on hands-on experience with Spheros, Ozobots, and Scratch.
  • I do see overlap between the goals and resources ad the VA science standards but I also see some differences. Code.org wants to reach all classrooms, everywhere and the SOL’s are focused on using resources at hand to enhance classroom learning. I think all grades would enjoy the Spheros, I enjoyed them at 22 years old. It was very exciting to get to understand coding with this hands on experience. The students are able to understand what is happening through experience and that is a great way to learn. they can see how it physically changes in movement by the buttons the students press on the control board. I think it could be harder for younger students to understand/learn (K-1) but i think third grade is a great place to start with block coding