SOL: English 2.8
The student will be able to summarize stories and events with beginning, middle, and end with 80% accuracy.
Assessment: Sequencing the order of stories using iMovie (seeing that it is correct) and an anonymous survey asking questions to make sure they understood the content, formative assessment.
Outcome: The students will read a story and recieve iPads with scrambled pictures and they have to place them in order from beginning, middle, and end in Imovie, recreating the story into a movie.
Techology: IPads, IMovie and Kahoot
1.9 The student will read and demonstrate comprehension of a variety of fictional texts.
- a) Preview the selection.
- b) Set a purpose for reading.
- c) Relate previous experiences to what is read.
- d) Make and confirm predictions.
- e) Ask and answer who, what, when, where, why, and how questions about what is read.
- f) Identify characters, setting, and important events.
- g) Retell stories and events, using beginning, middle, and end.
- h) Identify the main idea or theme.
- i) Read and reread familiar stories, poems, and passages with fluency, accuracy, and meaningful expression.
Outcome: The student will be read the story, Three Cheers for Tacky!, and be able to identify the beginning, middle, and end of the story and also be able to identify the theme of the story.
Technology: https://kahoot.com; Laptops
- Anonymous survey.
- Big Brother “OTEV” Theme
2.7 The student will expand vocabulary when reading.
- a) Use knowledge of homophones.
- b) Use knowledge of prefixes and suffixes.
- c) Use knowledge of antonyms and synonyms.
- d) Discuss meanings of words and develop vocabulary by listening and reading a variety of texts.
- e) Use vocabulary from other content areas.
The student will be able discuss and develop vocabulary by producing sentences that use words with multiple meanings.
Outcome: Student will be able to identify homophones and their separate meanings
Assessment: Students will be able to match different words that have same meanings to a variety of pictures