Welcome to our Community of Practice!

Welcome to our Richmond area School-Based Occupational Therapist’s Community of Practice (CoP).  We are happy you have joined our forum and our ongoing conversations!

What is a Community of Practice (CoP)?
A CoP is a collaborative and social learning community formed by groups of people who share a common interest or passion. CoPs aim to build, expand, and share collective knowledge and resources to develop members’ skills and advance practice (Snyder, Wenger, & de Sousa Briggs, 2004; Wenger, 2000).

What is the focus of THIS CoP?
The focus of this CoP is to facilitate conversation among Richmond Area school-based Occupational Therapists as we bring research to practice and explore evidenced-based practices (EBP).

How will this work?
We will focus on common practices used by school-based OTs.  Research articles will be posted for your review for comments and conversation.

What do I do if I have an idea or topic to discuss?
We are hoping everyone will have ideas they would like to further explore. Maybe it is something you have been struggling to get your school team to implement, maybe it is something you wonder if it is evidence-based.  No worries!  All ideas are good.  You can e-mail Michelle Thompson at boulangerml@vcu.edu or mthompso3@rvaschools.net to share your suggestions or topic ideas.  If you have related research articles to share, great!  If not, we will do the research for you.  Your topic will be posted for discussion and input from our CoP.

5 thoughts on “Welcome to our Community of Practice!

• September 18, 2017 at 12:31 pm

Thank you Michelle and Patty for creating a time efficient way that we can work together to enhance our efforts and skills on behalf of the students we serve. I will share this page with the CCPS staff. Is it OK to use this forum for PT’s to create topics and benefit from a shared community or will this be OT specific?

• September 25, 2017 at 7:08 pm

Thank you Cheryl! I am excited to work with you on the CoP!

• September 25, 2017 at 7:10 pm

If I form a new comment, where will it show up?

• October 13, 2017 at 3:54 pm

Great idea. You guys rock! I am sending a great article of interest I came across this week (probably on our Facebook site).