Synthesis Matrix

How can America Next Top Models use Facebook and Instagram (social media) to help teens have a positive self-image?

“America’s Next Top Model” should use personal pictures of the contestants of all shapes and sizes instead of professional pictures on their Facebook and Instagram page because:

Synthesis Matrix 2

After finishing my Synthesis Matrix I have come across a gap within my evidence. To elaborate, I have sources that mostly support my first two claims and somewhat of my third claim. I have sources that support each claim for my topic, but most sources strongly support my second claim. I knew that i wasnt going to find alot of support for my third claim, but i have enough to make an argument and to support the idea. Only one of my articles lack evidence for my first two claims and only focuses on the third claim, but becuase it is a scholarly source, i find this okay. I realize i have to do some more research for my third claim in order to have a strong stance/ support system for my paper.  I need to find more evidence that will support my third claim,  find a better way to re-word my claim, or just think of a new claim all together.  I realized that the more scholarly articles I add to my research, the most evidence and support I will have for my claims. With this being said, I believe that I will continue to search for more scholarly articles because there is a lot more evidence than in a peer-reviewed article. But after completing this assignment, I see that i have a strong topic and will be on a good start with my first two claims.

Bessenoff, Gayle. “Can the Media Affect Us? Social Comparison, Self-Discrepancy, and the Thin Ideal.” Academic Search Complete. EBSCO, 1 Sept. 2006. Web. 21 July 2014.

Booker, Kristin. “Mo’ Selfies, Mo’ Problems? How Those Pics Can Chip Away At Your Self-Esteem.” Refinery29. Refinery29, 29 July 2013. Web. 10 July 2014.

Briggs, Helen. “‘Selfie’ Body Image Warning Issued.” BBC News. BBC News, 10 Apr. 2104. Web. 10 July 2014.

Dahl, Melissa. “Selfie-esteem: Teens Say Selfies Give a Confidence Boost.” TODAY. Today, 26 Feb. 2014. Web. 08 July 2014.

Grabe, Shelly, L. Monique Ward, and Janet Shibley Hyde. “The Role of the Media in Body Image Concerns among Women: A Meta-analysis of Experimental and Correlational Studies.” Psychological Bulletin 134.3 (2008): 460-76. Google Scholar. Psychological Bulletin, 15 Jan. 2008. Web. 07 July 2014.

Lou, Melissa. “Striving to Be Thin.” Forest Park Review. Forest Park Review, 15 June 2005. Web. 16 July 2014.

Sifferlin, Alexandra. “Why Selfies Matter | TIME.com.” Time. Time,    06 Sept. 2013. Web. 02 July 2014.

Teresa Bell, Beth, and Helga Dittmar. “Does Media Type Matter? The Role of Identification in Adolescent Girls’ Media Consumption and the Impact of Different Thin-Ideal Media on Body Image.” Academic Search Complete. EBSCO, 15 Apr. 2011. Web. 21 July 2014.

Walker, Melissa. “The Good, the Bad, and the Unexpected Consequences of Selfie Obsession.” Teenvogue Content. Teen Vogue, 11 Sept. 2013. Web. 03 July 2014.