Final Post (Fleisher)

• What did you accomplish for your final project?
    • I created my module and came up with effect activities to use for an Introduction to the Crucible.   I was able to find videos and articles off of the internet to coincide with my instruction, as well as create meaningful online discussions and assessments to track student growth.
  • What feedback would you appreciate from your colleagues and me?
    • Feedback requests from you and my colleagues can be seen in prior blog posts regarding the same question.
  • What did you learn in the process of developing this project?
    • Time management.  Outside of this, I learned the importance of differentiating instruction as well as the importance of technology in and outside of the classroom.  A lot of thinking goes into the design and implementation of creating online activities.  The T-pack assignment, while frustrating at the beginning, proved to be useful in actually thinking about not only the assignment but the tools and technology as well and how they all play together to create meaningful lessons.
  • How should I evaluate your project? According to this criteria, how would you evaluate your final project?
    • I would just evaluate the module on whether or not we created something students can use and access online.  I feel my module went from an actual “online class” to a glorified webquest for a hybrid class (which I’m ok with).   I think the module follows my original intent and structure as mapped out in previous blogs regarding my thoughts and game-plan.

One thought on “Final Post (Fleisher)”

1. Your learning objectives:

• Articulate the basic principles of Puritanism
    • Explain the events leading up to the Salem witchcraft trials
    • Identify the individuals central to the Salem witch trials and to the play The Crucible
    • Synthesize and evaluate facts to speculate the underlying causes of the witch hysteria (mass hysteria)
    • Draw connections between the events of 1692 and the modern world
    • Articulate the basic and underlying principles of McCarthyism

My feedback:

The module is laid out very cleanly, with top level folder (Puritanism, McCarthyism, Red Scare, and Salem Witch Trials). You can take out the TPACK on the last one now.

Puritanism: Do you have to add an assignment and a discussion as two separate things ? It seems a little confusing to me. Same thing for assignment 2, could you embed the resources folder in the assignments 2 folder. I think the design would look cleaner that way. Overall this assignment is fine, reading, watching videos, and then writing and taking a quiz. If you were interested in creating student to student interaction you could craft some reply prompts for students to discuss their initial views on puritanism, compare and contrast those views, etc.

McCarthyism: In your first discussion, you ask students if they have heard of Sen. Joe McCarthy. I would think about asking yes/no questions, as they often will not solicit great answers. You have several yes/no questions on this prompt. This lesson then follows a similar style to the previous one with videos and readings. The final assessment is a short answer discussion prompt. Couldn’t all students just pretty much copy other students answers to this?I think there is a way to set it up so you can only see others responses once you respond, but it makes me wonder if a discussion board is really the tool you want here. Is there a reason for the students to see each others’ responses? If not maybe a different tool is better.

Red Scare: That’s a really great discussion question. I think it could a great discussion point for students. Consider asking students to reply to one another – maybe prompting them to relate personal stories to others peers’ posts. Or to relate other lessons in this module. Just ideas, you can come up with better ones I am sure

salem witch trials: Just realized this is your first assignment in the module but it is located at the bottom of the assignment lists. Maybe re-organize for clarity

I like your module, You primarily have students read, watch videos, and then write. I think you can utilize the discussion boards a bit more to have students reply to each other or to collaborate. These methods you are using may be best for your content. I have seen in the past some pretty cool things where digital tools are used to do word counts within texts, which provides a jumping of point for conversations about why authors used certain words more than others (and this gets really cool if you do the same thing for several texts by one author and look at how the words they used change over time). I also had a student last year who used 3d printers to replicate artifacts from authors and stories they were studying (Poe’s spectacles and keys, George Washington’s fake teeth, etc.) This can also be done to illustrate time periods.

Nice job on this. Happy Holidays!