Man-Computer Symbiosis Revised

“The second point is that a very important section of memory will be permanent: part indelible memory and part published memory. The computer will be able to write once into indelible memory, and then read back indefinitely, but the computer will not be able to erase indelible memory. (It may also over-write, turning all the 0’s into l’s, as though marking over what was written earlier.) Published memory will be “read-only” memory. It will be introduced into the computer already structured. The computer will be able to refer to it repeatedly, but not to change it.”

It’s actually somewhat scary how disposable memory is now. I remember when I was little we use to have pictures in picture albums. Probably a lot of people still print pictures out, but I know our family got away from it except for very special occasions. My last phone broke and I lost hundreds of pictures. If you manage to publish it to some social network or to cloud storage, it’s all a bit more permanent given who’s storing your stuff doesn’t go out of business one day. I’ve never really put the effort to do that and to be frank, the lack of potential privacy always made me a bit nervous. I’ve seen entire websites full of information just go down one day and never go back up, all that information lost forever. There’s archiving efforts, but I’m not sure how successful they are. There’s a lot of information out there.

Here’s one relatively large archiving project:

https://archive.org/projects/

I read Emely’s post about how the lack of face-to-face interaction makes it difficult to know a person or their true feelings. It’s definitely true in  a lot of cases, but I also think the anonymity and indirect nature of the internet allows people to communicate their feelings that you wouldn’t know otherwise. Perhaps someone is depressed and hides it, but is able to vent about it over the internet.

Both Harpreet Kaur and Christopher Smith mentioned a tool called WolframAlpha. I’ve actually never heard of this, but this is an incredible resource and I’ll be using it from now on. Previously, I had just looked up how to do things on Khan Academy, while still quite cool, is not nearly as powerful in regards to math.

One thought on “Man-Computer Symbiosis Revised”