Week 4: Google Classroom Assignment

Link: https://classroom.google.com/c/MjcxOTk1ODIxMzY1/a/MjcxOTk3MTc2NTkz/details

SOL:  2.3 The student will investigate and understand basic properties of solids, liquids, and gases. Key concepts include

a) identification of distinguishing characteristics of solids, liquids, and gases

b) measurement of the mass and volume of solids and liquids

c) changes in phases of matter with the addition or removal of energy.

Learning Objective: The student will be able to identify distinguishing characteristics of solids, liquids,  and gases.

Description: The students are asked to find an example and describe the characteristics of a solid, liquid, and gas from their own home. The learning objective will be assessed by checking the characteristics the students come up with and see if they match with the normal characteristics of the certain state of matter. Once students turn in their assignments, as a class we can have an open-ended discussion over the similarities and differences we have in the characteristics that we observed in our own homes. I think this activity would be a great way to introduce the states of matter and their characteristics; that can then lead into the properties of matter unit.

4 thoughts on “Week 4: Google Classroom Assignment

1. Hey Brittney! I love this lesson plan as it is something that can be done face to face or virtual. I love that it is adaptive in this way. I think that you left the lesson vague enough for the students to decide how to proceed with the lesson and allow for them to be creative with how they figure out the differences between the solid, liquid and gas. Awesome job!

2. Good lesson! I loved how it was hands on. One thing that I would add to the lesson is a description before the lesson starts of what a solid, liquid and gas, and what the students should be looking for when they go out in their house to look for them. I would also add in some good examples of gases for the students to look for as this is not something that is easily found. Great job!