Inquiry Project Proposal

music

How can music change the world?

I know that sounds like a daunting task to put on sounds produced by vocal chords or instruments but I truly believe music CAN change the world, starting with you and your daily mood.

IMG_3264 copy

While music is a huge part of my daily life more than most, I still have never met someone who outright claims to hate music. Music is something that can bond friendships, it can calm you down, or amp you up. It helps you concentrate and gets creative juices flowing. It changes the way we see people and things around us. It has even been shown that learning to play music at a young age can increase brain function.

IMG_2878 copy

So if music can be used to help stroke victims and it can be used as therapy for inmates, then why can’t it be used at different moments throughout your day as almost mini therapy to help enhance each moment you face.

IMG_1319 copy

Nugget Assignment #3- Augmenting Human Intellect

There were two parts found in the very beginning of the piece “Augmenting Human Intellect” that to me, may as well be the same thing. You need the first part to formulate the ideas for the second.

Our culture has evolved means for us to organize the little things we can do with our basic capabilities so that we can derive comprehension from truly complex situations, and accomplish the processes of deriving and implementing problem solutions. The ways in which human capabilities are thus extended are here called augmentation means, and we define four basic classes of them:

Artifacts–physical objects designed to provide for human comfort, for the manipulation of things or materials, and for the manipulation of symbols.

Language–the way in which the individual parcels out the picture of his world into the concepts that his mind uses to model that world, and the symbols that he attaches to those concepts and uses in consciously manipulating the concepts (“thinking”).

Methodology–the methods, procedures, strategies, etc., with which an individual organizes his goal-centered (problem-solving) activity.

Training–the conditioning needed by the human being to bring his skills in using Means 1, 2, and 3 to the point where they are operationally effective.

Every process of thought or action is made up of sub-processes. Let us consider such examples as making a pencil stroke, writing a letter of the alphabet, or making a plan. Quite a few discrete muscle movements are organized into the making of a pencil stroke; similarly, making particular pencil strokes and making a plan for a letter are complex processes in themselves that become sub-processes to the over-all writing of an alphabetic character.Although every sub-process is a process in its own right, in that it consists of further sub-processes, there seems to be no point here in looking for the ultimate bottom of the process-hierarchical structure. There seems to be no way of telling whether or not the apparent bottoms (processes that cannot be further subdivided) exist in the physical world or in the limitations of human understanding.

Nerve cells firing, artwork

What the picture that I chose above shows are nerve cells/synapses firing in the brain. This signifies all of the working parts, simulating the same types of processes or subprocesses mentioned in the excerpt from “Augmenting Human Intellect”. On a random note- the above picture reminds me of the thousands of ideas firing in my head at once while picking a part for the nugget assignment. To break down the above paragraphs that I chose from the reading I think it’s best to reassign certain ideas mentioned into their own parts.

Two of the augmentation means mentioned for problem-solving were artifacts and language. While artifacts were described as physical means whereas language is not, I believe that they are both better described as tools. Artifacts and language are used so that methodology and training can be implemented at a later time. Without necessary tools in the beginning, whole processes cannot come together. Which for this particular scenario would impact research methods whether they are results that will be found sooner rather than a long-term study.

Although processes are a much more broad category, that is where methodology and training should lie. The two concepts are very similar in itself. Methodology impacts training. I am almost unsure if I would have grouped the two together within the ‘means’. When I think of the word means, my mind takes me back to thinking about tools like mentioned above when referring to artifacts and language.

news_scheiffele_science

This picture I just really like. It goes along the same lines as the firing nerve cells of the other photo, but it almost expands that idea even more to include ‘processes’. To me this picture shows how after using the proper tools (firing), a simultaneous result can form (process).

Progress Report/Research Reflection

Upon completing the various readings and blog posts so far making me think about different topics for the inquiry project, I came to realize that generally I’ve stayed on the same track in my way of thinking (which might be a first). In relation to responding to the articles we’ve read, my brain has stayed on a more artsy path. As I’ve said in my second concept experience blog, I want to focus my inquiry project around music.

music-pain_003049211

My initial thought/idea has always been centered around music, but narrowing the topic down seems daunting as well as challenging. I’m still not exactly certain in what way I’d like to narrow it down. Do I focus on one genre? Do I look into a single band? Should I research a town and its preferences for music?

In my Man-Computer symbiosis post, I mentioned how while working on the assignment for that day I had music playing in the background. I’ve also talked about how music is everywhere we go on a daily basis. I’m always listening to new music to try and broaden my horizons. This helps in creativity, but also helps give me an open template to help narrow down my ideas with a current interest.

brainstorming

Between now and the time that the proposal is due for the inquiry project I plan to look deeper into finalized ideas like bands and concepts to make a more fluid assessment. Since I do take such an active role in the music community in Richmond I wish I could study the bands in their away time from the stage. Obviously it’s not ideal to follow bands on the road while going to work and school, but I think that would be helpful with the research I am planning on completing.

Refelctive Writing for Concept #2

Comparing Licklider’s ideas in Man-Computer Symbiosis and the Internet choose your own experience concept made me think that the computer was almost thinking for me. Clicking on a link and having it contain links to take you to the next destination and more involved idea from where you started. It is almost as if I wasn’t choosing my own adventure, but that the computer was…i was allowing it to think for me and lead me.

computer thinking

Concept Experience #2

Narrowing down all my interests and topics that bring excitement into my life is hard. Being a passionate person it is hard to pick just one thing and then within that category narrowing down to a very specific item is even more challenging.

But I have figured out that the biggest passion in my life is music. It is something most people have an opinion on. Everyone enjoys music, we are surrounded by it in movies and shows, on the radio, as background music while shopping. Music evokes emotions and feelings. Supermarkets play slow music to subconsciously to slow you down to buy more. Churches play certain chords to induce chill bumps and feelings of fullness within. Movies and TV shows use this as well to make you feel more deeply for the characters in one way or another or bring fear out.

no_music__no_life_by_ristiii

But how to you narrow this down? To a genre? To a label? To a town?

I am a huge advocate for the Richmond music scene and all the local goodness and talent it holds, alas there aren’t really many wiki pages created for these very talents musicians. So for this assignment I  moved on to one of my favorite cities that is the birthplace for so many famous bands from so many genres but that brings us right back to home.

Sub_Pop_logo

I decided to start with the rich history of Sub Pop in Seattle, Washington. Most people know of Sub Pop.  It was founded in the late 80’s and was the home of music legends, Nirvana. Nirvana not only made Sub Pop a household name in record labels, but inspired so many of musicians and bands to get where they are, including many of Sub Pop’s current bands: Fleet Foxes, Beach House, and The Head and The Heart. The Head and The Heart holds a special place to me and Richmond due to the fact that 2 of the members live here and are from here and have been members in bands such as Prabir and the Substitutes.

914702_1486940571522731_324690636_n

Man-Computer Symbiosis Nuggest Part 2

This entire article was almost comical to me just picturing what computers were like in 1960 when J.C.R. Licklider wrote this. They took up entire rooms and were slow and loud and to a degree pointless and impractical.

resolver

The feasibility of automatic speech recognition depends heavily upon the size of the vocabulary of words to be recognized and upon the diversity of talkers and accents with which it must work. Ninety-eight per cent correct recognition of naturally spoken decimal digits was demonstrated several years ago at the Bell Telephone Laboratories and at the Lincoln Laboratory [4], [9]. To go a step up the scale of vocabulary size, we may say that an automatic recognizer of clearly spoken alpha-numerical characters can almost surely be developed now on the basis of existing knowledge. Since untrained operators can read at least as rapidly as trained ones can type, such a device would be a convenient tool in almost any computer installation.”

This paragraph in particular stands out to me, mostly because as i sit with my MacBook in my lap and my iPhone resting on my knee (always in my sight and ear shot) in front of a TV connected to the internet playing music in the background, I realize just how far we have come technologically in such a short amount of time and how Licklider could almost see into the future with his ideas. In this paragraph he speaks of language recognition of words that a computer could recognize depending on accent when all the devices surrounding me have surpassed even his wildest thoughts and dreams on this one front.

He stated that a computer knowing 1,000 basic english words and 1,000 technical words would be enough, where Siri knows over 5,000 and that is considered limited (think about how many times you’ve wanted to chuck your iPhone at a wall when Siri doesn’t “get it”). Siri can speak 8 languages and they’re always adding to her knowledge.

It is astounding to think of what we have at our fingertips. And the leaps and bounds that are being made still each and every day.

Google-Glass-Camera-closeup-640x392

I agree with Laikyn in the thought process that if computers began to process faster and more efficiently than humans it would be a sad day for us all. As much as I love my devices and almost live and die by them, knowing I am in control of them is something that could be taken for granted one day.

A different passage and nugget, but similar thought from Living The Dream 2014, touches on computers replacing humans but brings up good examples of how it has already started in something as simple as a grocery store with self checkouts replacing human cashiers and scanners on the isles replacing finding someone for help.

I really enjoy Elephant Flowers‘ nugget about how Licklinder totally predicted a world wide web basically. He stated there would be a “wire-band community” connecting everyone. Now we are all connected constantly.

I do like how Jaime & The Blog refuses to give in to the notion of computers taking over the world. I have to agree. As much s i want technological advancement, i don’t see a day where machines, even if they become “smarter” will ever not need us or find a way to control us. Maybe that is a naive and old school way of thinking, but I tend to lean towards the idea that Earth will be taken over by some alien life form before it is taken over by machines.

In a similar yet contrasting view, Meredith Brindley seemed almost excited at the thought of a cyborg takeover but had good points that we do rely on computers for life in thing like pacemakers and other advancements.

Man-Computer Symbiosis Nugget

This entire article was almost comical to me just picturing what computers were like in 1960 when J.C.R.Licklider wrote this. They took up entire rooms and were slow and loud and to a degree pointless and impractical.

resolver

Google-Glass-Camera-closeup-640x392

Brainstorming for Inquiry Project

Habits

• Smoking
  • Nail Biting
  • Exercising
  • Set goals or make a to-do list
  • Check emails
  • Text
  • Browse social media
  • Listen to music
  • Drink coffee
  • Go to work
  • Talk to people
  • Visit with friends
  • Nap
  • Eat
  • Bathe

Trends

• Teen pregnancy
  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • Blogging
  • Tinder
  • Skinny jeans
  • Pixie haircuts
  • Miley Cyrus
  • Justin Bieber
  • The Kardashians
  • Twerking
  • Orange is the New Black
  • 22 Jump Street
  • Vine

images

Gender

• Male
  • Female
  • Transgendered
  • Transsexual
  • Heterosexual
  • Homosexual
  • Blue
  • Pink

galaxia

Controversies

• Obama
  • Abortion
  • Immigration
  • Miley Cyrus
  • Religion
  • Race
  • Gay Marriage
  • Gay Rights
  • Single Parent Households
  • Military
  • War
  • Medical Marijuana
  • Human Trafficking
  • Gun Control
  • Bullying

Places or Spaces

• Jamaica
  • Ocracoke Island
  • The Caribbean
  • Tortuga
  • China
  • Africa
  • Switzerland
  • Australia
  • Russia
  • New York
  • Richmond
  • Africa
  • Afghanistan
  • Panama
  • Bora Bora

island

Fears

• The dark
  • Getting kidnapped
  • Sold into slavery
  • Heights
  • Spiders
  • Snakes
  • Drowning
  • Small Spaces
  • Elevators
  • Dying Alone
  • Ghosts
  • Crickets
  • Fire
  • Prison
  • Bees

fear

Associative Trails Post

Screen Shot 2014-06-11 at 10.37.18 PM

Looking at my screenshot after searching for images, etc to go along with the nugget assignment, I realized that I was solely focused on finding pictures of photography (no pun intended) to aid my brain in focusing on the assignment itself. I looked into pictures of pictures themselves, different types of lighting and displays, as well as the different types of equipment used to capture moments.

A Nuggett From Bush

In reading “As We May Think” the passage that really resonated with me personally was this one:

“…Certainly progress in photography is not going to stop. Faster material and lenses, more automatic cameras, finer-grained sensitive compounds to allow an extension of the minicamera idea, are all imminent. Let us project this trend ahead to a logical, if not inevitable, outcome. The camera hound of the future wears on his forehead a lump a little larger than a walnut. It takes pictures 3 millimeters square, later to be projected or enlarged, which after all involves only a factor of 10 beyond present practice. The lens is of universal focus, down to any distance accommodated by the unaided eye, simply because it is of short focal length. There is a built-in photocell on the walnut such as we now have on at least one camera, which automatically adjusts exposure for a wide range of illumination. There is film in the walnut for a hundred exposures, and the spring for operating its shutter and shifting its film is wound once for all when the film clip is inserted. It produces its result in full color. It may well be stereoscopic, and record with two spaced glass eyes, for striking improvements in stereoscopic technique are just around the corner….”

While obviously these statements are fact, it is almost upsetting to me that this is considered “improvement”. While, yes, I do understand that better, faster, clearer is by most standards “improved” doesn’t it take away from the art of it all? The eye of the photographer, the use of environment, the skill with equipment and the know-how and creativity of the person behind the lens should be something that is cherished and valued instead of the paper and technology you can buy.

There is a whole culture going back in time and returning to analog ways of photographing and producing art. Lomography.com is one example of a website that you can purchase analog cameras, retro film and has a database of ideas and ways to be creative and manually manipulate film and your environment to get the most from each shot.

inspiration2

There are a ton of blogs, hastags and instagram accounts devoted to analog photography. The cult is rising and the art and the experience, the culture itself, is far more important than the ease of snapping a pic with a phone and sharing it instantly.

negative

I honestly think most of the fun comes from the wait. The anticipation of what will come when you develop a roll a week, a month or even longer. And even once you develop that roll, what you do with the negative and the color gels and the enlarger gives you a different outcome each and every time. Often a result that can’t be duplicated.

So while technology makes things more user friendly and faster, I don’t agree that all progress is an improvement. Sometimes you should leave art to the creative.

I think my 11th grade photography teacher said it best; “I will teach you to take photographs, not snapshots that go in a family album.”

Amazing Fashion Shoots Taken by Using the Diana F+ (4)